INTERNATIONAL MASTER´S DEGREE PROGRAMME IN ECOLOGY AND POPULATION GENETICS (ECOGEN)
– With emphasis in Biodiversity and Conservation Biology issues
Application guidelines and selection process
The application period is 3.12.2012 – 31.1.2013.
Applications for entry into the M.Sc. degree programme ECOGEN are to be submitted via the Finnish University Admissions online system (UAF). The application forms are available at the international student pages (how to apply). Please ensure that all documents listed are returned with the application. In addition to the electric form, the application with attachments has to be sent in ordinary mail to: Yliopistonkatu 2, FI-00170 Helsinki, Finland.
The entry requirements for the M.Sc.:
- The applicant must have a B.Sc. (or to be obtained by 1.8.2013) in biology, or a closely related subject, with excellent grades.
- A good working knowledge of English. English language skills can be proved by official language exam or by having 20 ECTS credits of studies conducted in English language in a higher education institution in Finland.
- Prerequisite studies, either completed as a part of the B.Sc. degree or to be completed during the M.Sc. period (bridging studies), corresponding: Cell biology (750121P), Basics of ecology (750124P), General genetics (753224P), Experimental course in general genetics (753104P), Animal physiology (751388A), Biogeography (750363A), Evolution and systematics of organisms (750307A), Basics in functional plant biology (752345A). Basic studies in statistics, chemistry and biochemistry are also required.
The selected students may be asked to complete previous studies with so called bridging studies (maximum 60 ECTS). The number of courses needed is decided case-by-case basis when their personal study plan is accepted.
Attachments to the application forms:
- A copy of passport's information page or a copy of an official ID card
- Bachelor's (or higher) degree certificate
- Officially certified copy of the Bachelor's degree certificate or an official certificate stating projected completion date (at the latest 1.8.2013). Bachelor´s degree must have been granted by an academic, higher education institute, which enables the applicant to apply for higher university degree (master) studies in his home country. Bachelor´s degree also has to consist of three (3) years of full-time study (minimum).
- Where a language other than Finnish or Swedish is used in the certificate, please include a translation in English (by an authorised translator).
- An original university transcript of records from the institution or an officially certified copy indicating the grading system of the institution.
- Where a language other than Finnish or Swedish is used in the academic transcript, please include a translation in English (by an authorised translator).
- A copy (copies) of other degrees/studies completed
- Please attach officially certified copies of other degrees or studies you have finished or you finish at the latest 31.07.2013.
- English Skills (documentation required)
- Education in English: Upper Secondary Education in English in Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Great Britain, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand
- or 20 ECTS credits of studies conducted in English in a higher education institution in Finland
- or Bachelor´s or Master´s degree in English in any EU or ETA (*) country, or in USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand
- or TOEFL (minimum 580 PBT / 92 iBT)
- or IELTS (minimum 6.5, all parts 5.5)
- Please note, that according to Finnish Law, mother tongue is not a separation policy as that cannot be proven. Thus, all the applicants are required to demonstrate their English skills as stated above.
- (*) EU and ETA countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.
- A motivation letter where the applicant describes in her/his own words why she/he wants to study in the ECOGEN programme (appears in the application form)
- Two reference letters
- Reference letter form (pdf)
- One motivation letter has to be from nominated academic person (professor, teacher, etc.)
- The referees should send them directly to the University Admissions (Address: University Admissions, Yliopistonkatu 2, FI-00170 Helsinki, Finland). Please follow the instructions provided by the online application system. The reference forms must be received at the latest 31 January 2013 at 4:00 pm.
- Optional document: summary of the Bachelor's Thesis (appears in the application form)
Based on these criteria selected applicants might be invited for a telephone interview (in English). In the interview, the background of the applicants, their motivation for studies and knowledge of English are estimated. Applicants will be ranked based on their B.Sc. grades and the telephone interview. Completion of a B.Sc. degree is obligatory to commence the M.Sc. studies.
Announcement of selection results and accepting the study right
The names of admitted students to the programme will be announced by 30.4.2013. The results of the selection will be sent to all applicants. The selected students will also receive a confirmation letter stating the right to study for the Master of Science degree at the University of Oulu, Faculty of Science. If the bachelor degree is not yet obtained by the time the announcement, the study right is confirmed only after the degree is obtained (at the latest before 31.07.2013). The study right has to be accepted by the deadline given by the Faculty of Science. The details will be informed to the selected students in the confirmation letter. In other case, the study rights will be withdrawn.