The Faculty of Education follows the uniform RPL instructions of the University of Oulu. The RPL process is commenced in a consultation on your personal study plan with your teacher tutor, or in counsel with a study advisor. The tool to be used in the RPL process is OSAT, the Student's e-Services System at https://osat.oulu.fi.
For certain studies in the Faculty there are, however, already practices in place for recognition of previous studies and for inclusion of such studies as part of a degree. The Faculty has also made certain decisions on recognition practices which allow the student to easily see which studies s/he can earn credits for in the first place. You should follow the instructions below to ensure smooth progress of the recognition process.
The Faculty of Education has decided on the following recognition practices:
1. See links below for direct transfer of credits, with instructions, in the academic year 2017-2018 (documents available only Finnish)
- Recognition of prior studies in education for those who started their studies in 2017-2018
- Recognition of prior studies in education for those who started their studies in a primary teacher education programme in 2017-2018
- Recognition of prior studies in education for those who started their studies in the early childhood education programme in 2017-2018
- Recognition of prior studies in the special education programmes in 2017-2018
2. Based on the credit records or your certificates, university study modules (such as basic or intermediate studies) in subjects other than the major subject that were not included in your previous degree are credited as such towards your degree. No need to log in to OSAT to fill in an application, just submit your certificates to the Faculty service desk.
3. If you have been awarded the grade laudatur or eximia cum laude approbatur for the English test (advanced syllabus) in the Finnish matriculation examination, you will be credited (for the Bachelor's degree) the course 902130Y Foreign Language, 1.5 credits, or if you have completed the IB or EB diploma (or completed a university degree in English), you will be credited the course 902120Y Foreign Language, 3 credits. No need to log in to OSAT to fill in an applicattion, just submit your certificates to the Faculty service desk.
4. Compulsory studies in the written and spoken skills in the mother tongue, second national language and foreign language completed for a degree in another Finnish university or polytechnic (university of applied sciences) are credited as if they had been taken in the Faculty of Education. If the studies taken elsewhere have a more limited extent than those offered by the Faculty, the Faculty may require that you supplement the studies - please consult the person in charge of the studies or one of the education coordinators. No need to log in to OSAT to fill in an application, if the courses you have taken previously are clearly sufficient; submit your certificates to the Faculty service desk.
5. The main rule is that recognition of prior learning is not possible for periods of (teaching) practice, as they are pedagogically and didatically supervised entities. However, the following courses related to teaching practice can be credited through RPL practices, in which case prior learning shall be proved by means of demonstration such as a report, portfolio, interview or seminar presentation. In these cases, always consult the person in charge of the course/practice period before submitting an application for recognition of prior learning.
- 392905S Applied practice, 7 credits
- 411015A Project training, 4 credits
- 443187S Advanced practice in early childhood education, 8 credits
- 413019S Working life studies (with practical training accounting for 8 credits)
- 404022A Optional practice, 1-10 credits
6. Recognition of prior learning is not possible by means of nonformal demonstration as regards courses forming part of the multidiscpilinary studies in the subjects and cross-curricular themes taught in basic education, professional studies in early childhood education, or professional studies in special education.
7. Theses written in polytechnics/universities of applied sciences or in the university's other degree programmes are not directly applicable as theses. If you wish to make use of such a thesis for work on a thesis in one of the Faculty's degree programmes, you shall agree with the thesis supervisor.
8. In order to recognize studies completed during a student exchange or abroad, you must use the OSAT system. See the instructions below What to do in other cases? - Instructions for students. Furthermore, it is a good practice to discuss the studies you plan to have recognized with the reponsible teachers also before going for the exchange.
What to do in other cases? - Instructions for students
- Talk to your teacher tutor, the person responsible for a course or a study advisor. Acquaint yourself carefully with the RPL practices and the OSAT system.
- Get in touch with the person/teacher responsible for the course. Consult what your previous credits could account for. Ask him/her for a written confirmation of credit approval or rejection (an e-mail message or a written statement).
- Fill in the application in the online OSAT system. Log in to https://osat.oulu.fi using your university account. There are also instructions for using the system on the website.
- Make sure have all the necesssary appendices. Any deficiencies in the appendices and other information slow down decision making and entry of credits into Oodi. Sending a request for additional information and waiting for the response takes time. Most requests for additional information are due to inadequate credit records from your previous educational institutions: the titles of courses are needed in English, because course information is entered into Oodi in both Finnish and English, or at least in the latter language. It is the responsibility of the student to acquire the proper translations of the course titles.
- Make use of the "additional information" field in the application form. If you have already consulted on recognition of credits for a subject in advance, remember to indicate it (with whom and when) in the additional information. Also include any confirmation provided by the person responsible for the course as an appendix.
For more information and assistance, get in touch with a study affairs secretary, study advisor or specialist in your field of education, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: 12.12.2017