Professor of energy systems and environmental engineering
Head of the Energy and Environmental Engineering Research Unit
Faculty of Technology
Energy and Environmental Engineering,
PO Box 4300, FI-90014 University of Oulu
+358 294 487417, +358 40 506 1623
- Doctor of Science in Technology (environmental engineering) (D.Sc.(Tech.)), 2002, University of Oulu.
Dissertation:Re-defining the concepts of waste and waste management: Evolving the Theory of Waste Management
- Licentiate of Science in Technology (environmental technology) (Lic.Sc.(Tech.)), 1998, Tampere University of Technology
- Doctor Universitatis (environmental economics) (Dr. Univ.), 1996, Budapest University of Technology and Economics
- Master of Science in Engineering (mechanical engineering) (M.Sc.(Eng.)), 1991, Budapest University of Technology and Economics
- Waste and resources management
- Industrial Ecology
- Sustainability assessment
- Sustainable regional development
- Smart and sustainable energy networks
- Smart grids
- Industrial Ecology
- Sustainable development
- Municipal and industrial waste management
Pongrácz E, Niemistö J, García V, Hänninen N, Saavalainen P and Keiski RL (2015) Waste-based biofuel technologies in Finland – Current research and industrial activities. Pollack Periodica. 10(2): 157-172.
- Pongrácz E (2009) Through waste prevention towards corporate sustainability: Analysis of the concept of waste and a review of attitudes towards waste prevention. Sustainable Development, Special issue: Paradigms of corporate sustainability. 17(2): 92-101.
Pongrácz E, Turpeinen E, Raudaskoski R, Ballivet-Tkatchenko D and Keiski RL. (2009) From waste to resource for methanol-based processes. Waste and Resources Management. 162(4): 215-220.
Pongrácz E. (2006) Industrial Ecology and Waste Management: From Theories to Applications. Progress in Industrial Ecology, An International Journal. Special issue: Industrial Ecology - Philosophical and Epistemological Framework. 3(1-2): 59-74.
Pongrácz E, Ylä-Mella J, Phillips PS, Tanskanen P and Keiski RL. (2005) The impact of the European Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE): Development of waste management strategies in Oulu, Finland. Journal of Solid Waste Technology and Management. 31(2): 102-111.
Pongrácz E & Pohjola VJ. (2004) Re-defining waste, the concept of ownership and the roles of waste management. Resources Conservation & Recycling. 40(2): 141-153.
Sample of research conducted in our unit:
- Tran H, Vale R, Vale B and Pongrácz E (2017) Is high density development sustainable urban form? A footprint study of transportation in Vietnam, New Zealand and Finland. The International Journal of Environmental Sustainability. Link.
- Louis J-N, Caló A, Leiviskä K and Pongrácz E (2016) Modelling home electricity management for sustainability: The impact of response levels, technological deployment & occupancy. Energy & Building. 119(2916): 218-232.
Ylä-Mella J and Pongrácz E (2016) Drivers and constraints of critical materials recycling: The case of indium. Resources 2016, 5(4), 34; Open access.
Caló A, Louis JN, Pongrácz E (2015) The role and the impact of electric vehicles on the local power grid within the Northern Finland climatic conditions. IFAC-PapersOnLine, 48(1): 880-885.
- Louis J-N, Leiviskä K & Pongrácz E (2015) The Trade-Off Between Technology Deployment and Enviro-Economic Benefits in Smart Buildings. Proc. of the 12th International Conference on the European Energy Market (EEM 2015). Lisbon, Portugal. Link.
- Louis JN, Leiviskä K and Pongrácz E (2015) Environmental Impacts and Benefits of Smart Home Automation: Life Cycle Assessment of Home Energy Management System. IFAC-PapersOnLine, 48(1): 886-891.
Piippo S, Juntunen A, Kurppa S and Pongrácz E (2014) The use of bio-waste to revegetate eroded land in Ylläs, Northern Finland. Toward a zero waste perspective of tourism in the Finnish Lapland. Resources Conservation and Recycling. 93(2014): 9-22.
- Piñero P, Heikkinen M, Mäenpää I and Pongrácz E (2015) Sector aggregation bias in Environmentally Extended Input Output modelling of raw material flows in Finland. Ecological Economics 119(2015): 217-229.
Ylä-Mella J, Keiski RL and Pongrácz E (2015) Electronic waste recovery in Finland: Consumers’ perceptions towards recycling and re-use of mobile phones. Waste Management. 45(2015): 374-384.
- Caló A and Pongrácz E (2014) The role of smart energy networks to support the application of waste-to-energy technologies. Pollack Periodica. An International Journal for Engineering and Information Sciences. 9(Supplement): 61-73.
- Louis J-N, Caló A, Leiviskä K and Pongrácz E (2014) A Methodology for Accounting the CO2 Emissions of Electricity Generation in Finland. International Journal on Advances in Intelligent Systems. Vol 7 no 3&4. Open access.
- Ylä-Mella J, Poikela K, Lehtinen U, Tanskanen P, Keiski R.L. and Pongrácz E (2014) Overview of the WEEE Directive and its implementation in the Nordic countries. National realisations and best practices. Journal of Waste Management. Article ID 457372, 18 pages. Open access.
- Smart energy networks 2050: Modelling of energy and information fluxes, impact of user response on decarbonisation (SEN 2050)
- Funding resources for innovation in energy enterprise development (FREED)
- Renewable Community Empowerement in Northern Territories (RECENT)
- Healthy Food and Lifestyle Choices in the Arctic
Last updated: 15.8.2017