The research of Infotech Oulu is carried out in groups that were selected to Infotech Oulu in the previous application. The groups mainly operate in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering. In addition, also some other faculties and VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland are involved in some of the research groups.
The selection of Infotech Oulu research groups is for a four-year period, and it is based on external scientific evaluation of the research presented by the applicants. The last evaluation took place in autumn 2013. The evaluators were Professor Hans Burkhardt, Department of Computer Science, Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg, Germany; Dr. Mark Craig Reed, University of New South Wales, and Australian Defence Force Academy, Canberra, Australia; Professor Hannu Tenhunen, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, and Professor Bernard C.Y. Tan, National University of Singapore (took part only in remote evaluation).
The following nine groups were selected for the period 2014–2017:
- Biomedical Engineering Research Group (BME)
- Biomimetics and Intelligent Systems (BISG)
- Center for Machine Vision Research (CMV)
- Circuits and Systems (CAS-Oulu)
- Communications Signal Processing (CSP)
- Electronics Materials, Packaging and Reliability Techniques (EMPART)
- Networking (NET)
- New Generation Optoelectronics for Measurement Applications (NEGOMA)
- Radio Access Technologies (RAT)
Information technology is designated as one of the four focus research areas of the University of Oulu, including machine vision and ubiquitous computing, wireless communications, high-speed electronics and photonics, biomedical engineering, and information systems. The main research areas of Infotech Oulu currently are:
- communications engineering
- computer science and information engineering
Last updated: 23.5.2017