Infotech Oulu Doctoral Program
Lecturer: Professor Erdal Arıkan, Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey
Date: May 23-25, 2016
Monday, May 23
Tuesday, May 24
Wednesday, May 25
09.00 - 11.30
13.00 - 16.30
Venue: SÄ111, on site Registration
The objectives of this lecture are to give a treatment of recent advances in Channel coding and to discuss possible applications.
The main topics will be LDPC and polar codes, encoding, decoding and applications in wireless scenarios.
- Channel coding basics
- Codes based on graphs
- Belief propagation
LDPC Codes (5h)
- Sparse matrices for parity check
- Decoding – check bits
- Different implementations
- Performance in different channels
Polar Codes (8h)
- Historical perspective – cut off rate, sequential decoding
- Channel splitting and combining – BSC, BEC
- Proof of capacity achieving of polar codes
- Encoding algorithms
- Successive cancellation decoding
- Sequential decoding, List decoding
- AWGN channels
To conclude this lecture, we consider different applications such as WiFi and cellular communications. The state of the art implementations will be compared and possible further developments will be discussed.
Evaluation: the students will be given a list of exercises.
Credits: 3 (ECTS)
more information: Nandana Rajatheva
Last updated: 23.5.2016