Introduction to the EdGlo programme
MA in Education and Globalisation is a full-time two-year international Master's programme. It focuses on ethics, policy, planning, curriculum, evaluation and comparative research in education. The central aim of the programme is to develop quality in education and to equip students to exercise socially responsible leadership in complex and diverse societies. The programme emphasises North-South-East-West dialogue and includes studies in international education, interculturalism, globalisation and their effects on various sectors of education.
The Master's Degree Programme in Education and Globalisation (120 ECTS) is aimed at applicants with a Bachelor's degree or an equivalent higher education degree. Preference will be given to the applicants with background in education/social sciences. All teaching will be in English, and therefore English-language proficiency is required of all students.
Students major in educational sciences. The programme also includes a minor subject and an internship period which can be implemented in Finland or internationally in a variety of different settings such as intergovernmental agencies, non-governmental organisations or educational institutions. One third of the programme involves acquiring research tools, conducting research and writing a Master’s thesis in a collaborative and multicultural research environment.
After completing the programme, students are awarded a Master of Arts (Education) degree which enables them to continue their academic studies at doctoral level. This degree does not constitute a formal teaching qualification.
The curriculum includes the full programme structure and all the course descriptions with learning outcomes.
Please see the Curriculum 2015-16.
Graduates of the programme will be able to
- make informed and ethical decisions in complex and diverse education environments in local and global contexts
- exercise socially responsible leadership in the fields of policy, curriculum, planning and evaluation in educational contexts
- conduct and utilise research that is robust and relevant to national and international debates in education
- work ethically and productively in partnership with diverse individuals, groups and communities
- show cross-cultural competence, seeing linguistic/cultural/ethnic/ gender/sexual/religious/ideological differences as a source of learning
- introduce multiple perspectives into their professional activities and research and engage with different knowledges/cultures in ethical ways
- relate to the constantly changing nature of education and society, recognising professional development as a collaborative process of lifelong and lifewide learning
- use information technology to enhance professional development and practice in informed and critical ways
Future Career Opportunities
The professional foundations of the programme are related to tasks in research, planning, administration and teaching in the field of education, and also tasks in different organizations offering consultation and guidance. EdGlo graduates are competent to work in national and international contexts in the public, private and civil society sectors, in occupations such as:
- project leaders
- educational consultants
Research group connected to EdGlo is
Education, Diversity, Globalisation and Ethics (EDGE).
Outline of the programme 2015-16
MA in Education and Globalisation
Language, Communication and Orientation Studies 5 ECTS credits
405033Y Survival Finnish (foreign students only), 2
901001Y Swedish or other language studies (Finnish students only), 2
405512Y Orientation to the Finnish Culture and Educational System, 3
Major - Advanced Studies in Education 80 ECTS credits
408512S Issues in Globalisation, 5
408514S Nordic Education in the European and Global Context, 5
408527S Comparative Educational Research, 5
408528S Current Trends in Educational Research, 5
408517S Quantitative Methodology, 5
408517S Qualitative Methodology, 5
408513S Ethics and Education, 5
408516S Educational Policy, Planning and Leadership, 5
408518S Internship, 5
408510S Master’s Thesis, 35
Minor - Education in Transition 25 ECTS credits
407530A Defining Education, Educational Sciences and their Tasks, 5
407531A Technology-Enhanced Learning, 5
408502S Development and Education, 5
407532A Economics of Education, 5
407519A Societies and Education in Transition, 5
Elective studies 10 ECTS credits
Freely selected by students, 10
Total for the degree 120 ECTS credits
For further information, please write to edglo.coordinator(at)oulu.fi
Viimeksi päivitetty: 19.3.2018