Internal call for course funding proposals for the development of doctoral training activities in Health and Biosciences
The Health and Biosciences Doctoral Programme (HBS-DP) will allocate funding up to a total of approximately 50 000 euros to be used during the year 2018 to organize doctoral training activities within the following Doctoral Degree Programmes: Medicine, Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, Health Sciences, Dentistry, and Biology.
The proposed doctoral training activities may comprise e.g. field-specific courses, symposia, workshops or alike targeted mainly to doctoral students. Joint or methodological courses suitable for several disciplines and courses/events arranged in local, national or international cooperation are also applicable. We would especially encourage applicants to plan multidisciplinary courses co-organized together with one or more of the other University of Oulu Doctoral Programmes (see http://www.oulu.fi/uniogs/dp).
Submission deadlines for 2018
Deadlines for submission for 2018 are May 31, and thereafter via a continuous call until autumn 2018, if funding still remains available. The persons responsible for the proposals will be informed of the decisions within 1-4 weeks (excluding July).
Each proposal should include the following two items:
A. Short description of the training activity proposal (total length: 1-5 pages):
- The name, email, (faculty and) research unit of the contact person at the University of Oulu responsible for the proposal
- Title and planned time of the course or activity
- Amount of funding applied from HBS-DP
- The Doctoral Degree Programme(s) or scientific field(s) covered by the course. If relevant, describe also cross-disciplinary or other actions included in the course (within Health and Biosciences Doctoral Programme and/or with other Doctoral Programmes or with other institution(s)).
- A description of the need for the course and the need for, and added value provided by, the participation of the other partner(s) (if applicable);
- A description of the course or other training activity, including:
- ECTS study credit value of the course (or an estimate if the detailed content is still under development; 1.0 ECTS credit corresponds to a total workload of 27 hours by the average doctoral student, including both hands-on teaching and own work);
- The goals of the course;
- The type of course, the learning activities undertaken by the students, and the methods to be employed for its delivery;
- The teachers and the contents of the course, including details of the different contributions to be made by each of the partner institutions (if applicable)
- Expected number of participants: doctoral students vs. others
- Priority ranking, if more than one course/ activity is applied by the same applicant
B. Filled web-form
- Including e.g. complete budget plan (preview pdf version of the form is available here >> )
- Link to fill in the web-form: https://www.webropolsurveys.com/S/9F885F14150A613C.par
Guidelines for acceptable costs
- Direct costs related to running of the training activity (consumables for practical courses, hourly rental costs and video streaming, etc.)
- Mobility costs: travel and accommodation costs for external teachers invited to Oulu
- Honoraries or lecture fees for the external teachers
- Modest hospitality costs (meals)
- If the course is arranged together with national or international partner institution outside of the University of Oulu: Mobility costs for attending the course, both for the students and for the course teachers; these mobility costs include only the travel and accommodation costs of teachers from University of Oulu to teach in course elsewhere in Finland or abroad, and the travel and accommodation costs of doctoral students from Oulu attending a co-organized course elsewhere in Finland or abroad.
- Other relevant justified expenses
- Funds may not be used for the purchase of any equipment or infrastructure. No daily allowances are covered.
Some guidelines for budgeting:
- Travelling costs: Finland 200-400 eur, Europe 1000 eur, outside of Europe 1500 eur
- Accommodation / day / person; max: 100 eur in Finland
- Lecture fees/ honoraries (invited lecturers): Professors usually 125 eur/hour
The responsible person of the proposed course should submit the application by e-mail to coordinator Ritva Saastamoinen, including (A) the short course proposal (items 1-7) and (B) the filled web-form.
All funded proposals are required to be reported to HBS-DP after the course activity is completed.
For further information concerning the call, please contact the HBS-DP coordinators Ritva Saastamoinen or Mirja Peltola (firstname.lastname (at) oulu.fi).
Last updated: 27.4.2018