CALL FOR APPLICANTS FOR MULTIPLE DOCTORAL STUDENT POSITIONS IN THE FIELDS OF MEDICAL SCIENCES at the MEDICAL RESEARCH CENTER OULU
The MRC Oulu-DP is a doctoral programme uniting different fields of medical sciences such as clinical medicine, oral health science, biomedicine, health sciences and medical technology under the umbrella of a multidisciplinary training programme. The programme operates under the established strategic research organization Medical Research Center Oulu (MRC Oulu). The programme currently involves over 70 research groups and about 300 full- and part-time doctoral students. The MRC Oulu-DP will organize a systematic training program for students aiming to acquire strong research skills in the area of medical sciences. Detailed information concerning the research carried out within the groups associated with the Doctoral Programme can be found on the MRC Oulu web pages.
The MRC Oulu-DP invites applications from highly motivated candidates for the following full-time doctoral student positions:
- Six (6) four-year positions for the period 2016 – 2019.
- Multiple short-term positions (3 – 6 months each) to be filled during the period 2016 – 2017 (only for applicants with a licentiate degree in medicine or in dentistry; one position/person, up to a maximum cumulative total of 36 person years).
Depending upon the duration of the position allocated to successful applicants, the work contracts of new doctoral students, who do not yet have doctoral study rights at the University of Oulu, will include a trial period of up to four months.
Students who, subsequent to the previous call in 2013, have already occupied a University of Oulu-funded doctoral student position in the MRC Oulu-DP during the period 2014 - 2015, may re-apply for a position in the present call.
The applications will be evaluated by an external evaluation panel based on the qualifications of both the doctoral student and of his/her proposed main supervisor. The scoring criteria will be published on the MRC Oulu web pages.
All applications must include:
- A completed online “Application Form” (see below);
The following documents must be attached to the online “Application Form” as single Portable Document Format (PDF) attachments (i.e. compiled into a total of 4 separate documents). Each attachment will have the following respective file names: MRCOulu-YourName-CV; MRCOulu-YourName-Diplomas; MRCOulu-YourName-Plan; and MRCOulu-YourName-Supervisor. Replace “YourName” with your own last name (as in your passport).
Warning: Incorrectly named attachments may not be processed forward.
- CV: Curriculum Vitae of the applicant, including a list (with full reference details) of any peer-reviewed scientific publications (Max. 1 page).
- Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned electronic copies of diplomas and transcripts of the records of relevant previous degrees and, if applicable, a valid certificate of language proficiency (see the General Call Text). If the original documents are not in English, Finnish or Swedish, each document must be accompanied by an official certified translation into English or Finnish.
- Research plan: including the timetable of the research project and doctoral studies, and a list of research funding (source, period and amount) granted and applied for from other sources by the applicant (Max. 3 pages).
Applicants with a previous MRC Oulu–DP position (for years 2014-2015), must also provide an Activity Report (Max. 1 page) in this attachment. The Activity Report will include a list of publications to be included in thesis (publication plan), the estimated date of dissertation, the status of the doctoral research plan, and the dates of the completed follow-up group meetings.
- Other attachment: the following two items must be compiled into a single document.
- A signed letter of recommendation from a senior scientist working at the University of Oulu, and who is proposed as, and is interested in being, or who is the applicant’s main supervisor. In addition to the justified recommendation of the applicant for the position applied for, the letter will also provide a clear estimation of the time needed by the applicant to complete the doctoral studies.
- A short CV (Max. 2 pages) of the main supervisor, including H-index and a list of up to 10 selected scientific publications (with full reference details), must be placed after the letter of recommendation.
Important: Unless explicitly stated in the letter of reference, the recommendation of the proposed supervisor does not bind the latter to any form of commitment in the event that the selection committee does not award the position for which the letter of reference was provided to the applicant. If the supervisor provides a letter of reference to more than one applicant, the supervisor may be asked later, during the selection process, to provide the selection committee with a justified ranking of the applicants.
Click here to proceed to the online Application Form and to submit all documents for the MRC Oulu-DP doctoral student positions.
All application documents are to be submitted electronically, before the deadline on Friday 21.08.2015, at 24.00 (midnight, Finnish local time, UTC + 3hr).
Applications received after the deadline, incomplete applications, and/or applications with attachments that exceed the specified limits, will not be considered.
For further information concerning the Medical Research Center Oulu Doctoral Programme (MRC Oulu-DP) positions, please contact:
DP Coordinator Mirja Peltola (mirja.peltola (at) oulu.fi), or
Director of MRC Oulu Heikki Huikuri (heikki.huikuri (at) oulu.fi).
Last updated: 13/4/2015