Practical guidelines for completing the online application for admission to doctoral training at the University of Oulu Graduate School [UniOGS].
Please read these instructions very carefully.
Before you start filling in your application form
Find and contact a suitable senior scientist affiliated with a research unit at the University of Oulu who is qualified and willing to act as the Principal Supervisor of your doctoral training. Some tips on how to find a Principal Supervisor can be found on the UniOGS webpages.
Research topic and funding
Agree upon a research topic with your proposed Principal Supervisor (an informative one-page outline of the research plan must be provided in the application form). Agree with the Principal Supervisor upon the possible need for co-supervisors, and the funding (salary/grant and research) arrangements.
Make sure that you have good-quality, electronically scanned copies of:
- A completed commitment form signed by all proposed supervisors and the head of unit (your Principal Supervisor can help identify the head of the unit).
- All diplomas and transcripts of the records (copies in the original language and, when necessary, official translations to English or Finnish) relevant to the application, including documented evidence of language skills. These documents, required for all applicants, must be compiled into a single pdf document.
If selected for admssion to UniOGS, applicants will be required to present the original copies of all certificates/diplomas mentioned above if they were not obtained from the University of Oulu.
Degree certificates/diplomas obtained from some countries may have to be authenticated with some other official documents or stamps (further details will be provided following the decision to grant the study rights).
Other necessary information
You may need to consult your proposed Principal Supervisor in order to provide the correct information in some fields of the application form. Such information includes, for example:
- The name of the Doctoral Degree Programme, the Major Subject, and the Doctoral Degree for which you are applying for study rights at the University of Oulu. Note that, in order to access the correct application form in the online system, you must use the link to the correct Doctoral Degree Programme;
- The faculty and research unit of the University of Oulu in which the doctoral research is to be carried out;
- The full names, titles, affiliations and contact data (phone & e-mail) of the Principal Supervisor and of any co-supervisors (up to two);
- Information concerning any relevant statements or permits that are required for the doctoral research and that have been applied for, or obtained, from Ethics Committees.
While filling in the online application form
The application form can be completed in multiple sessions, and may be modified at any time before the application deadline.
However, once you have started to fill in the form, you must add data to ALL fields indicated with an asterix (*) as being obligatory, as well as the obligatory attachments, before you can “save” the form.
If you do not have the correct information or document at the time you are filling in the application, you can add easily recognizable “nonsense” data (e.g. NNN for text fields, or 1234 for numerical fields) and documents (e.g. empty Word, pdf or image files) in their place.
Make sure that you replace such “nonsense” data and attachments with the correct data and documents before the submission deadline.
In order to save your completed (or partially completed) application form, click on the “Send” button at the top of the form and follow the instructions provided. The first time you do this, you will be provided with a link and other information allowing you to access and continue editing your application later, up until the application deadline.
Depending on the options selected by the applicant for certain sections of the form, a number of extra questions may appear. These must also be answered.
Remember to save your data regularly, particularly before you leave the system after modifying the application. The last version of the application saved in the system before the deadline is considered to be the final submission for the call.
Applications cannot be saved, or submitted, if they lack any information or attachment marked with an asterix (*) as being obligatory.
Applications cannot be modified after the close of the call.
Last updated: 12/6/2017