The next application round will open on 15th December 2016 and end 25th of January 2017.
General Academic Requirements are the same for all of the Master's programmes.
EdGlo Programme Specific Academic Requirements
Bachelor's degree or equivalent higher education degree; preference will be given to the applicants with a background in education/social sciences.
- Applicants with a background in other academic fields (e.g. humanities, languages, international relations, economics etc.) are eligible to apply as well.
- Applicants with a Bachelor's degree from a Finnish Polytechnic (university of applied sciences) are eligible to apply as well.
English language proficiency
- All teaching will be in English and therefore English language proficiency is required of all students.
- The level of English language will be assessed during the interview in the second stage of the student selection.
Admissions criteria for the application round 2017 is available here.
EdGlo Programme Selection Process
The selection process comprises two stages:
Stage I: written applications
Stage II: interviews
Stage I: Written applications
A written application includes:
a) completed, printed and signed online application form
b) necessary attachments (please, see Admissions Package 2017 for details)
c) two reference letters (sent in sealed envelopes with the application package by the applicant, form available here)
Stage II: Interview
Applicants selected for an interview will be informed latest onThursday 24 March 2017 by email. The interviews will take place from Wednesday to Friday, 5-7 April 2017. If unable to attend the interview in person, applicants residing outside Finland will be interviewed via telephone/skype. The telephone/skype interviews will be recorded and recordings may be used at a later stage in cases of uncertain identity.
EdGlo Programme Detailed Selection Criteria
Stage I: Written applications (max. 18 points)
The written applications will be evaluated on the basis of the following criteria:
- The level and the relevance of the applicant's overall study record in the completed Bachelor's degree (0-6 points)
- The quality of the applicant's Personal Statement* (0-6 points)
- The quality of the applicant's Research Intent* (0-6 points)
* Personal Statement and Research Intent are included in the online application form.
A maximum of 60 applicants will be selected to take part in the second stage (interview) on the basis of the above mentioned criteria.
The references and the CV do not accumulate points. Their purpose is to provide background information for the interviews.
Stage II: Interview (max. 10 points)
The final selection is carried on the basis of the interview in English. (0-10 points). In order to be selected for the programme, applicants must obtain at least 5 points from the interview.
There will be 20 students selected to the Master's programme according to the points from the interview. If two or more applicants score the same number of points, their order shall be determined on the basis of the relevance and the level of the applicant's overall study record in the Bachelor's degree.
The purpose of the individual interview in English is to establish the applicant's aptitude for educational work, ability to discuss the content areas of the programme, motivation and the relevance of their research topic. The applicant’s social and language skills will be ascertained during the interview. The time reserved for interviewing each applicant is about half an hour.
EdGlo Programme Student Selection
After stage I the applicants selected for an interview will be informed latest on Thursday 24 March 2017 by email.
After stage II the final results of the selection will be published on Tuesday 28 April 2017.
The names of the admitted students (and those admitted to the waiting list) will be posted on the notice boards of the Faculty of Education at the University of Oulu. Those admitted as students and those put on the waiting list will also be notified of the results by e-mail.
An applicant is entitled to be given details of how the comparative index was calculated in his/her particular case. The Faculty office will respond to any inquiries on the results. Any appeals shall be delivered in writing to the Board of Examiners and sent to the Registry Office within 14 days from the publication of the results.
- Please, familiarise yourself carefully with the prerequisites and the selection criteria of the EdGlo programme before starting your application process!
- All copies must be officially certified (legalised), i.e. they must bear the stamp and signature of an official entitled to attest documents: a notary public, a commissioner of oaths or an authorised university official from the university which granted the original certificate, etc.
- The University of Oulu does not attest any documents or photocopies.
- There are some country-specific requirements for certificates and transcripts, please check them here.
- Applications and attachments will not be returned.
- Applications sent via email or fax will not be considered.
- Late applications will not be processed.
- Any form of deceit (e.g. plagiarism, fake documents) will result in rejection of the application.
- Students admitted to the University in 2012 or later may be requested to provide an extract from the criminal records for the assessment of their ability to study. Such an extract may be requested only from students whose studies include practical training or other activities involving work with minors. The extract will be requested before the beginning of the practical training or other activity. Please read more here.
See more information on tuition fees and scholarships.
Referees should use the University of Oulu reference form, please see here. The reference is returned to the applicant in a sealed envelope.
Frequently Asked Questions
You might find an answer to your question here, please see FrequentlyAskedQuestions.
Start your application here.
- Guide for International Students
- City of Oulu
- Welcome to Oulu - Guide for Foreigners
- Study in Finland
- This is Finland
- Master's degrees at the University of Oulu
- Finnish Immigration Service
- Ministry for Foreign Affairs in Finland
- Ministry of Education and Culture in Finland
- Center for International Mobility (CIMO)
- PSOAS Student Housing Foundation of Northern Finland
Inquiries: admissions contact
Main image by Austin Gartman
Last updated: 19/12/2016