Erasmus+ is an internship program funded by the European Union. The program enables degree students of the University of Oulu to complete a traineeship period with the support of an Erasmus grant. Before applying the grant student must acquire a placement independently.
The function of the Erasmus program is to support student's internationality and internships in students home countries are not recommended. If the internship is in student's home country, multicultural aspect has to be met. When competition of the grants, internships in students home countries will nto be supported.
The application round for the internship is continuous.
Internship can take place in the following countries: European Union member states (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom), EEA/EFTA counties (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein), Croatia, Former Yogoslav Republic of Makedonia and Turkey. Switzerland is not a member in Erasmus+ program; require other funding possibilities in Student Center.
- Internship can take place between June 2017 and 30 September 2018
- program is for present basic degree students and postgraduate degree students during the whole internship period,
- training period can range from 2 to 12 months, working hours at least 30 per week,
- the training must be included in the studies,
- Erasmus grant is not allowed: EU organisations, organisations which coordinate EU programmes (e.g. LLP national agencies)*,
- student has to return the training certificate and complete all the required reporting,
- the student will not receive any other financial support for this internship from the University or CIMO,
- the student has not previously completed a training period outside Finland supported by the University and
- the length of the internship follows 12 months per level –principle, see principle below.
* Organisations representing the student's home country (e.g. cultural and scientific institutes, regional offices, schools, export centres) are acceptable only if the work placement includes multicultural components. The multicultural aspects of the placement must be noted in the Learning Agreement for Traineeships.
12 months per level -principle
Student can participate in Erasmus+ student exchange and work placement up to maximum of 12 months in each study level (bachelor’s / master’s / doctoral).
For example, if a student has earlier been in 5 months Erasmus study exchange during the master studies, student can join Erasmus + program for 7 months (12-5= 7) during the master studies.
If the student has participated in Erasmus before the academic year 2014-2015, the previous Erasmus periods are taken into account when granting of new Erasmus+ places.
Erasmus support can be awarded for the maximum length of 6 months. Internship period may last more than 6 months, but the support will be awarded for 6 months maximum.
Erasmus support consists of three parts:
- Erasmus grant (funded by EU) and
- University grant 810 € when internship period 3 months at least. When paid internship, the university grant is discretionarily granted.
- Extra grant to student with minor children. It is Erasmus exchange (study) grant + 200 € per month.
Erasmus grant is based on the duration of the work placement in days as follows:
- 14 € per day in category 1: Austria, Denmark, France, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Norway, Sweden and United Kingdom; 420 € per month (30 x 14€).
- 12 € per day in category 2: Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain), EEA/EFTA counties (Iceland), Croatia, Former Yogoslav Republic of Makedonia and Turkey; 360 € per month (30 x 12 €)
- Erasmus grant to student with minor children:
- 500 € in countries category 1
- 440 € in countries category 2
Example: Internship in Belgium, length 2 month, 24 days. The duration in days is 2 x 30d +24 d = 84 d. Grant is 84 x 12€= 1008 € in total.
Example: Internship in Belgium, lenth 3 month. The duration in days is 3 x 30 d = 90 d Grant is 90 x 12 € + 810 € (university grant) = 1890 €.
The Erasmus grant is paid in two parts. First part (80% of the grant) is paid before the actual training time and the second part (20% of the grant) is paid after student has returned the training certificate and completed all the required reporting. The University grant is paid after the internship has begun.
Students with disabilities can apply for additional funding to cover the costs of their special needs. More information in Student Center.
The placement must be acquired before applying for Erasmus grant.
Applications with the enclosure must be filled in SoleMOVE well in advance before the internship period begins. The enclosure is Learning Agreement for Traineeships which must be signed by the student, training organization and representative of the University of Oulu. Also, before student starts to fill the Learning Agreement for Traineeship document she/he is advised to contact the Erasmus+ internship contact person in Student Center to get more instructions.
When the internship is accepted in SoleMove, student is able to apply the Erasmus grant and University grant in SoleGrant.
The OLS language assessment
The OLS (Online Linguistic Support) language assessment is mandatory for all participants to Erasmus+ mobility with one of the following languages as the main language of instruction, work or volunteering: German, English, Spanish, French, Italian and Dutch (with the exception of native speakers). Erasmus+ mobility participants must take the assessment twice — before and at the end of their mobility period — in order to monitor their progress in the language of mobility. After accepting the application in SoleMove, trainee will receive an email from the university with a login and a password to access the platform. After taking the first language assessment, participants who have been selected by the university will have the opportunity to take online language course. The course is optional.
After the internship student has to give feedback and report about the internship to SoleMove according to the instructions. Also the Traineeship Certificate and transcript of records (when internship credited) must be attached to SoleMove.
After finding the placement student should contact Erasmus contact person below to check all the requirements of the program and to get more instructions for the applying procedure.
Erasmus+ training contact person
Last updated: 4.9.2017