Study right reactivation and passive register

Passive register will be applied at University of Oulu starting 1.8.2016. Degree and doctoral students’ study right may be transferred to passive register if they do not pursue studies actively.

Passive register applies to degree students’ study rights that have begun prior to 1.8.2005, and doctoral students’ study rights (licentiate and doctoral studies) regardless when doctoral study right has begun. 

At the University of Oulu, Academic Affairs determines annual registration periods and gives guidelines on how to register as present or absent. A student who fails to register to the University as instructed, will lose their study right. If at a later time a student wishes to continue their studies, they have to apply for reactivation of a study right. This is done by submitting form 'Study Right Reactivation', found from Student Affairs' Forms page.

Effects of passive study right to student

Each study right is transferred to passive register separately. If a student has other valid study rights, they will remain active enabling registration to the University, even if one study right is transferred to passive register.

A degree student’s study right is declared passive if the study right in question has begun prior to 1.8.2005 and the student has no study attainments during the past two consecutive academic years.

A doctoral student’s study right is declared passive if the student has no study attainments during the past two consecutive academic years.

Also, if a student has enrolled as absent, or neglected to register to the University for the past two academic years, a study right is declared passive

The past two academic years refer to the academic year when the check for passive study rights is made, and the academic year before that. E.g. student receives a letter notifying of declaration of passive study right in December 2015. Study right is marked passive 1.8.2016, if there are no study attainments during 1.8.2014-15.4.2016 or a student has not registered as present.

When student’s study right is declared passive, their study right is marked as “lost” and the reason is “transfer to passive register”. If a student has no other valid study rights, the student’s status in study register will be “removed from register”. Student who's status is removed from register can’t belong to a student union and will not show in statistics. Student is not qualified to receive financial aid for students, nor other benefits related to student status.

Study right is transferred passive at the beginning of an academic year. Students in question are notified of this at the end of previous autumn term. No other reminders will be sent after this. Study right is marked passive by the end of April - however, the effect for study right in question starts at 1.8.

Academic Affairs gives guidelines on passive register and how to reactivate a study right.

Students in question will receive an email/ a letter from the University of Oulu at the end of autumn term.

General questions related to degree student passive register can be sent to study(at)

Doctoral students who have received a passive register letter should contact University of Oulu Graduate School uniogs(at)

How to prevent transfer to passive register?

You can avoid being transferred to passive register if you have registered as present to the University, and have received study attainments.

Reactivating study right

The study right has begun prior to 1.8.2005 (passive register)

Rectification: it is not possible to appeal for a rectification to this decision, because the decision does not cause losing of the study right (Administrative Judical Procedure Act, 5§ and 51§).

The study right has begun on 1.8.2005 or after

Rectification: it is possible to file a written request for rectification to the Board of Examiners within 14 days of having been notified of the decision (YOL 558/2009 82.2§).

A transfer to passive register does not cancel the right of study. Students can apply for study right reactivation. Starting from 1.8.2016 applications and updated PSP’s are registered to study information system. If you have not registered as present or absent, you are required to pay re-registration fee when re-registering.

Bachelor's and Master's students return application form and a personal study plan (PSP) to their Faculty Study Affairs. Faculty appointed PSP Advisors will assist students on how to make a study plan. If a student is not aware who their PSP Advisor is, the student should contact their Faculty Study Affairs. A personal study plan is made if it doesn’t exist, or updated if the student is unclear which courses they should take.

Doctoral students return the application form, and the PSP and the research plan approved by the Principal Supervisor and the Follow-up Group in Student Center to Faculty Study Affairs. UniOGS pages have directions on how to reactivate doctoral study rights.

Last updated: 3.10.2017