What is the RPL process like at the University of Oulu?
Degree requirements and learning outcomes are described in the curricula of the faculties. These curricula present discipline-specific principles for RPL. In addition, the university’s Education Council and graduate school (UniOGS) may provide general guidelines for credit transfer.
The RPL process of the University of Oulu, described in the attachment, is always initiated by the student.
- The student initiates the RPL process. Having compiled a personal study plan, the student evaluates his/her prior learning in view of the learning objectives of the courses/competences included in the curriculum. If they match, they have the option of seeking recognition for this prior learning. Assistance to that end will be provided by teacher tutors or other PSP advisors.
- Next, the student prepares an application in OSAT system for recognition of prior learning with the necessary attachments. OSAT application is used to apply for recognition of prior learning in
a) formal RPL: giving credit for learning received at another institute (e.g. university, university of applied sciences/polytechnic or open university) or
b) informal learning: acquired through life/work experience, and non-formal learning, acquired through non-accredited modules of study.
With the help of teacher tutors or other PSP advisors, the student must identify the RPL Assessor (head of the degree programme or subject, the faculty’s Vice-Dean for Education or the Dean of the University of Oulu Graduate School). The RPL Assessor evaluates the presented evidence and decides on the result of the application.
- Before sending in the application, the student must ensure that all attachments specified in the application form are enclosed. A separate application must be submitted for each faculty.
- The student can see the decision by the RPL Assessor in their application in the OSAT system.
- The decision will be entered into the study register by Faculty Study Affairs. This marks the end of the process.
- If the student is dissatisfied with the decision, they may submit an informal written request for rectification to the Faculty’s Lead Specialist, Academic Affairs, who forwards it to the RPL Assessor. This request must be made within 14 days of receiving the decision.
- Without undue delay, the RPL Assessor provides a written response to the request and sends it to the Lead Specialist, Academic Affairs. Also the student is notified of the response.
- If the student is dissatisfied with this decision or response, they may present a written request for rectification to the university’s Examination Board within 14 days.
- Failure to appeal for rectification within the stated time period means that the decision will remain effective, and the RPL credits the student may have been granted will be recorded accordingly.
- Rectification requests to the Examination Board must be submitted using the RPL Request for Rectification Form. This form CANNOT be submitted to the Faculty Study Affairs; together with all necessary support documents, it must be sent to the following address:
Oulun yliopiston tutkintolautakunta
FI-90014 Oulun yliopisto
- The Examination Board will consider the request and render a decision in writing without undue delay. A statement may be requested from the RPL Assessor.
- All parties involved will be notified of the decision, which will be effective immediately. RPL credits that the student may have been granted will be entered accordingly into the study register. Notification of this decision will be communicated to the following:
- student who submitted the rectification request
- RPL Assessor who made the original assessment
- head of the degree programme
- Faculty Study Affairs for registration of credits.
- Decisions of the Examination Board are final and cannot be appealed. (University of Oulu Education Regulations § 27).
Requests for rectification are governed by the following acts:
Last updated: 8.12.2017