My research focuses on the effects of new communication technologies on human sociality, as well as questions of design for such technologies. Lately I've explored the themes of community and affinity online, embodied knowledge in digital interaction, and life writing. I am highly interested in traditional music and dance as well as choral music, and the hobbyist communities within these fields. I engage in participatory research with an activist agenda, aiming to produce positive change through my activities as a researcher.
- Online community
- Online social interaction
- Nexus analysis
- Mediated discourse analysis
- Online ethnography
- Martinviita, Annamari (2017) Online community as experience and discourse : a nexus analytic view into understandings of togetherness online. - Acta Universitatis Ouluensis. Series B, Humaniora 156. Oulu. Artikkeliväitöskirja. 124.
- Martinviita, Annamari (2016) Online community and the personal diary: Writing to connect at Open Diary. - Computers in human behavior 63, 672-682 .
- Martinviita, Annamari (2016) Understandings of togetherness online: community as a tool for social action. (Artikkeli tieteellisessä konferenssijulkaisussa). - Proceedings of the 8th ACM Conference on Web Science, WebSci 16, Hannover, Germany; 22-25.5.2016. Ei sarjaa/No series. New York. 346-347.
- Martinviita, Annamari; Kuure, Leena; Luoma, Pentti (2015) Do we speak the same language? : design goals and culture clashes in an online forum for young people. (Artikkeli tieteellisessä konferenssijulkaisussa). - C&T '15 : Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Communities and Technologies. Ei sarjaa/No series. New York. 69-78.
- Hekanaho, Minna; Martinviita, Annamari; Rauniomaa, Mirka (2015) Communities in action : a multidisciplinary take on agency and participation in a communal project. (Artikkeli tieteellisessä konferenssijulkaisussa). - Proceedings of the 4th Participatory Innovation Conference 2015. Ei sarjaa/No series. 279-287.