You can make an appointment for our Study Psychologists when you need help with study related problems such as learning, time or stress management or wellbeing, when other student advising has not proved to be helpful.
Meetings are confidential and last approximately 45 minutes. There are usually 1-5 sessions per student. The service is free of charge for the University of Oulu students.
The objectives for the sessions will be agreed upon during the first session. They could be some of the followig
- To clarify the student's overall life situation
- To develop studying skills
- To increase student’s activity
- To discover new patterns for thinking and acting
Appoinments: You can make an appointment request for psychologists by filling out this online form.
Reception at Linnanmaa: Study Point (Student Affairs Office): Opintokatu, Room KE1020-2.
Walk-in service for acute issues on Tuesdays at 9-11 am (from 4th September on).
Reception at Kontinkangas: Aapistie 5B, 3rd floor, room F302.
Study Psychologists: Pia Partanen and Hilla Marin
Study Psychologist intern: Lilli Huttula
When should I contact the Study Psychologist?
You can contact the Study Psychologist about things that have to do with learning and study related problems, when no other guidance or student advising have solved them. These can be e.g:
- Continuing studies that have come to a standstill, problems with progressing in studies
- Study-related self-confidence
- Motivation issues
- Coping with stress and tension
- Returning to studies after a long break
- Other issues related to learning, such as exam or thesis anxiety, time management, learning disabilities, problems with writing processes
- Accessibility issues: form 'Application for special study arrangements' can be found from Forms page.
For other than study related issues: please contact the Finnish Student Health Services (FSHS) for an appointment.
Other options for acute help:
Oulun kriisikeskus (Oulu Crisis Center) offers short term counselling and guidance in crises for anyone living or staying in Finland. Call 044 3690 500 between 9am-2pm for an appointment.
The National Crisis Hotline. Discuss your thoughts, feelings and situation in life with a worker or a trained volunteer over the phone. Call 010195202 Mon-Fri 9am-6am, Sat 3pm-6am, Sun 3pm-10pm.
Oulu University Hospital: for acute psychiatric help call 08 315 2655.
Last updated: 27.8.2018