Vision for 2030
The overarching goals of 6G Flagship are
1. Support industry in finalization of 5G. Companies worldwide will need considerable support in identifying new business opportunities, obtaining maximum benefit from state of the art technology and building knowledge-based capital for the radically renewed 5G operational environment. Flagship will carry out technology and system pilots for selected verticals by co-creating with companies and ensure timely relevant wireless expertise availability for industry needs and to enable economic growth via early adaption of critical smart society technologies.
2. Develop the fundamental technology needed to enable 6G. Fundamental research is 10-15 years ahead of industrial standards. The high scientific quality and usability of the theoretical research and concept development by Flagship researchers will be validated with separate functional components as well as early industry prototypes.
3. Speed up digitalization in society. Digitalization via 5G is strongly driven through the key verticals. The Flagship promotes development of vertical applications and services in a full-stack model including connectivity, services, content, end-user community and appropriate devices. The Flagship increases the impact of the 5G-driven society in building expertise around critical verticals and in developing those ecosystems further, both in co-operation with the existing ecosystems and by promoting new forms.
1. The Flagship will enhance the potential of 5G as an economy booster via totally new businesses enabled by new technical features and necessary changes in regulatory issues. The Flagship will improve the growth that can take place with current regulation simply by aggressive introduction of IoT for e.g. automating production or logistics by digitalising some existing production and logistic mechanisms. More aggressive growth would require changes in regulation concerning ownership of radio spectra, communications infrastructure or data, to name a few.
2. The Flagship will promote the birth of start-ups via heavy investments in easy-to-use-tools and active promotion of the 5G Test Network (5GTN) within existing “start-up factories”. Start-ups are appearing at an increasing rate in the ICT field.
3. The Flagship will increase the number of experts trained within 5GTN. They can be readily hired by outside society and new companies are likely to be created at increasing speed. 5GTN will serve as a ‘digitalisation training environment’ for the whole community, which can utilise the services and facilities in education programmes. Society at large will benefit from the experts trained within the Flagship, no matter where they are based.
4. The Flagship will increase companies’ possibilities to utilise research results in their development of applications and services. The Flagship’s open innovation ecosystems, based on verticals-driven test environments (i.e. 5GTN) with all technology providers and proper end-user communities involved, will help shorten the time to market. Shorter time-to-market is invaluable to companies partnering with 5GTN and will directly generate growth. The results of the Flagship will be used by large infrastructure providers via jointly developed technical solutions and IPRs that they obtain from the academic research (Ecosystem).
6G Flagship for Media
Communications and Marketing
+358 40 868 1107