SAAMI – Adaptation of Saami people to the climate change
Main objective of the project is to produce scientific information on climate change and Saami culture for decision makers and Saami communities. Project produces a holistic overview on climate change and its diverse effects to the environment in Saami home region, Saami culture , community, health and wellbeing based on available research literature and ethnographic field work.
1) A systematic literature review on peer reviewed literature on climate change and its effects to Saami home region, Saami culture, livelihoods and health and wellbeing.
2) Ethnographic fieldwork in Saami home region on Saami perceptions of climate change, experienced effects and adaptation models.
3) Analysis of national and international strategies and policies on climate change to compile how Saami people and the needs of Saami people have been addressed.
4) Make an assessment together with the Saami community how Saami people and Saami Culture can adapt to climate change and what kind of measures for action are required
5) Saami perceptions of climate change are compared with perceptions of other Arctic Indigenous People.
Project will produce final report with measures for action while taking into consideration views of Saami stakeholders. Also scientific articles are drafted in the project.
Project will be implemented during 2019-2020.
Finnish government’s analysis, assessment and research activities VN TEAS VNK 48/49/2019 (www.tietokayttoon.fi), total 150 000 €
Principal investigator, project leader
Principal investigator Professor Jouni J. K. Jaakkola
Postdoctoral researcher Klemetti Näkkäläjärvi
Research assistant, project secretary Riitta Aittamaa
Research assistant, Suvi Juntunen
Research assistant, Joni Saijets
Professor Jouni Jaakkola, jouni.jaakkola(at)oulu.fi
Postdoctoral researcher Klemetti Näkkäläjärvi, klemetti.nakkalajarvi(at)oulu.fi
Publications related to this project:
Jaakkola, J.J.K., Juntunen, S. & Näkkäläjärvi, K. (2018) The Holistic Effects of Climate Change on the Culture, Well-Being, and Health of the Saami, the Only Indigenous People in the European Union. Curr Envir Health Rpt (2018) 5: 401. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40572-018-0211-2
SAAMI – Adaptation of Saami people to the climate change -projects executive summary available 11.2.2020 onvards at: https://www.oulu.fi/cerh/saami-lyhytraportti [in Finnish, includes abstract in North Saami, Inari Saami, Skolt Saami, Swedish and English]
Recording of the presentation of project's key results in Helsinki February 11, 2020 can be found from Vimeo, https://vimeo.com/390927466 [in Finnish]
Video lecture by Klemetti Näkkäläjärvi in North Saami [subtitles in English]:
Effects of Climate Change to Saami People, Part 1, https://vimeo.com/368249482
Effects of Climate Change to Saami People, Part 2, https://vimeo.com/369313786
(Picture by Klemetti Näkkäläjärvi)
Last updated: 12.2.2020