World Health Organization has designated the Center for Environmental and Respiratory Health Research as a WHO Collaboration Centre in Global Change, Environment and Public Health starting from May 2014. Official opening ceremony was held 24 October 2014 in Oulu Finland.
WHO redesignated CERH for a new four-year term starting from May 20, 2018.
Director / Head: Professor Jouni Jaakkola
Vice Director: Docent Tiina Ikäheimo
Terms of Reference 2018-2022:
- To support the WHO Regional Office for Europe in Implementing the Ostrava Declaration on strengthening adaptive capacity and resilience to climate change-related health risks and supporting measures to mitigate climate change in the European countries, and in Nordic countries in particular.
- To contribute to the provision of research-based information to the WHO European Centre for Environment and Health with a special reference to weather-related phenomena. This includes provision of case studies, capacity building, and dissemination of information on the relevant topics.
Terms of Reference 2014-2018:
- To support the WHO Regional Office for Europe in implementing the European Framework for Action on climate change and health in the European and Nordic countries.
- To contribute to the provision of research information to the WHO European Information platform in the research area of global change, environment and public health with special reference to extreme temperatures and other weather-related phenomena.
- To contribute to WHO by providing case studies of regional and county-level multisectoral adaptation strategies and opportunities on extreme weather temperature populations.
- To contribute with outreach and dissemination of information as per request from WHO.
- To train students to continue capacity building on climate change, environment and health
Last updated: 18.6.2018