At Finnish universities, the academic year begins on 1 August and ends on 31 July. The academic year consists of two terms.
Autumn term: September – December
Spring term: January – May
In the spring term, classes finish by early May but some exams can be taken up until the end of May. The actual starting and ending date of studies depends on the field of study and the courses taken.
There is no summer term, but during the summer, students can take summer studies, which may consist of exams, practical training or master’s thesis. Lectures and seminars are not usually offered from June to August. Most of the libraries are open during the summer.
In addition to summer holidays, there is a break at Christmas (~ Dec 20 – Jan 7) and Easter. Other possible holidays are winter holiday (week 10) and autumn break (week 43). May Day (May 1st) and Independence Day (December 6th) are public holidays.
Faculty of Technology Teaching Periods
1. period: 31.8.-23.10.2015 (weeks 36-43)
2. period: 26.10.-18.12.2015 (weeks 44-51)
3. period: 11.1.-11.3.2016 (weeks 2-10)
4. period: 14.3.-13.5.2016 (weeks 11-19)
Personal study plan
All students at the University of Oulu plan their studies with the PSP (Personal Study Plan) function in Oodi, the information system that supports studies and teaching. Each new student has to create his/her own PSP with the aid of Oodi tool. Training how to use the OodiPSP tool will be offered for new students in September. Please read the main guidelines for the OodiPSP environment.
In order to create your LUKKARI you have take a look of your curriculum and timetable of your BME study group given at the beginning of your studies. A pdf copy of your calendar can be printed from the LUKKARI environment.
You will need PAJU user ID of UO computer systems in order to start create your own LUKKARI calendar. You will receive your own PAJU user ID and password when registering/enrolling at Oulu University.
The degree of Licenciate in Technology is still given by the Faculty of Technology, as well as are the Bachelor and Master degrees. The necessary forms are available only in Finnish language:
- Jatko-opinto-oikeushakemus lisensiaatin tutkintoa varten - Application form for the study right in Licentiate degree
- Tutkintotodistushakemus - Application form for the Licentiate degree certificate (new)
- Tutkintotodistushakemus - Application form for the Licentiate degree certificate (older)
- Publiikkiohjeet - Instructions for the publiikki event
All students are expected to complete their studies and work in an ethical manner. Below you can find more information about ethics at our university:
- University of Oulu Education Regulations
- University of Oulu Ethics of Teaching & Learning
- Urkund System
- Introduction to Urkund System
- Urkund User's Manuals
- Guidelines for the Management of Plagiarism
Relevant online services
- LATURI: a system for the submission of electronic diploma and master’s theses.
- LUKKARI: a schedule tool for students.
- MUUNTAJA: a web-based service to convert the documents to PDF.
- NOPPA: the study portal of the University of Oulu. It offers tools for students and teachers to handle study information and roads to the sources of this information.
- OPTIMA: an e-learning environment for accessing course material and returning your homework.
- OULA: the library catalogue of the University of Oulu.
- WEBOODI: an online portal with details for all courses.
- University of Oulu
- Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering
- Faculty of Technology
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Medicine
- Studies at University of Oulu
- Important information for new international students
- First aid kit for international students
- Finland for visitors
- City of Oulu
- University maps
- Maps and transportation
- Bus timetables and routes
Living in Finland
- Non-urgent health servives are organized by Finnish Student Health Service foundation (FSHS/YTHS).
- In emergency cases just call 112 from any phone.
- Student housing in Oulu is provided by the PSOAS organization.
Working in Finland
- Curriculumn Vitae (CV) templates in Europass form
- Tips for job seeking
- Business Oulu Home page
- Student Integration in the Finnish Society
- Working in Finland Guide for Foreigners (Ministry of Employment and the Economy publication)
- Employment and Economic Development Offices Home Page
- Step by step to Finnish worklife
- Taxation of foreign student in Finland
- Employment office services
- Oulu Student Entrepreneurship Society
Last updated: 28.8.2015