CONVINcE: Consumption Optimization in Video Networks
The idea of the CONVINcE project grew out of two observations. The first one is that the Internet's carbon footprint would exceed by 2020 those of air travel by a factor of two. The second observation is that video drives the Internet traffic: The sum of all forms of IP video will be 80% to 90% of total IP traffic in 2017. Furthermore, should people not be convinced by the necessity to reduce carbon dioxide emission, they will listen to the economic aspect of the problem: The price of electricity is increasing and will still increase in the coming years.
CONVINcE addressed the challenge of reducing the power consumption in IP-based video networks with an end-to-end approach. The power consumption characteristics are studied and optimized along the media path from the Head End, where content is encoded, to the terminals, where the content is consumed, embracing of course the CDN (Content Distribution Network) and the core access networks between them. The partners’ efforts will concentrate on architectures, hardware and software design, protocols and basic technologies in the devices. In parallel to these activities focused on optimizing the power consumption in each part of the system, the project will run transversal activities on “Software best practices & Eco-design” and “Power & QoE measurements”. The results of the project will be visible through demonstrators targeting tests of which conclusions will be made public in order to disseminate the best practices in the domain. It is also the intention of the project to push its results to standardization bodies. The business impact of the project will be the further delivery of new products and services designed from the beginning with aggressive power reduction objectives.
(2016) Erkki Harjula, “Energy-efficient peer-to-peer networking for constrainedcapacity mobile environments”, defended 16.6.2016 (co-supervisor Timo Ojala)
(2019) Tenager Mekonnen, “Efficient resource management in Multimedia Internet of Things”, defended 14.3.2019 (co-supervisors Erkki Harjula and Timo Koskela)
Articles in journals
- T. Mekonnen, M. Komu, R. Morabito, R., T. Kauppinen, E. Harjula, T. Koskela and M. Ylianttila. "Energy Consumption Analysis of Edge Orchestrated Virtualized Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks". IEEE Access, Vol.6, pp. 5090 – 5100, 2017.
- T. Mekonnen, P. Porambage, E. Harjula E, M. Ylianttila M, "Energy consumption analysis of a Full HD Multi-tier Wireless Multimedia Sensor Network", IEEE Access 5: 15848-15858, 2017. (Impact factor 3.244, JuFo 2)
- P. Porambage, A. Braeken, P. Kumar, A. Gurtov, M. Ylianttila, "CHIP: Collaborative Host Identity Protocol with Efficient Key Establishment for Constrained Devices in Internet of Things", Wireless Personal Communications, Volume 96, Issue 1, pp 421-440, September 2017. (Impact factor 0.951, JuFo 1)
- P. Porambage, C. Schmitt, P. Kumar, A. Gurtov, M. Ylianttila, A. Vasilakos, "The Quest for Privacy in Internet of Things Solutions and Future Research Directions: A Holistic Perspective", in IEEE Cloud Computing, Vol.3, Issue 2, pp. 36-45, March/April 2016. (JuFo 1)
- E. Harjula, A. Gurtov, T. Koskela, T. Ojala, M. Ylianttila, "Energy-Aware Load Monitoring for Improving Battery Life of Mobile Peer-to-Peer Nodes", Elsevier Sustainable Computing: Informatics and Systems, Volume 12, December 2016, Pages 43-54. (Impact factor 1.800, JuFo 1)
- Braeken, P. Porambage, A. Gurtov, M. Ylianttila, "Secure and Efficient Reactive Video Surveillance for Patient Monitoring", MDPI Sensors, 16(1),January 2016. (Impact factor 2.677, JuFO 1)
- P. Porambage, A. Braeken, M. Carlier, P. Kumar, A. Gurtov, M. Ylianttila, "Secure and Efficient Automatic Ruling in Three-Level Network Architecture", Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol 399, pp 185-194, 2016. (JuFo 1)
- P. Porambage, A. Braeken, C. Schmitt, A. Gurtov, M. Ylianttila, B. Stiller, Group Key Establishment for Enabling Secure Multicast Communication in Wireless Sensor Networks Deployed for IoT Applications, IEEE Access, vol 3, pages 1503-1511, September 2015. (Impact factor 4.098, JuFo 2)
- P. Porambage, C. Schmitt, P. Kumar, A. Gurtov, M. Ylianttila, "PAuthKey: A Pervasive Authentication Protocol and Key Establishment Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks in Distributed IoT Applications," PAuthKey: A Pervasive Authentication Protocol and Key Establishment Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks in Distributed IoT Applications," International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, Vol. 10, issue: 7, Article ID 357430, 14 pages, 2014. (Impact factor: 1.239, JuFo 1)
Articles in conference proceedings
- T. Mekonnen, E. Harjula, A. Heikkinen, T. Koskela and M. Ylianttila, "Energy Efficient Event Driven Video Streaming Surveillance Using SleepyCAM," 2017 IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (CIT), Helsinki, 2017, pp. 107-113.
- E. Harjula E, T. Ojala, M. Ylianttila, "Energy-efficient peer-to-peer networking for constrained-capacity mobile environments, IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IEEE IMâ€™17), May 8-12, Lisbon, Portugal, 2017.
- T. Mekonnen, E. Harjula, T. Koskela, M. Ylianttila M, "sleepyCAM: Power Management Mechanism for Wireless Video-Surveillance Cameras", IEEE International Conference on Communications (IEEE ICCâ€™17), May 21-25, Paris, France, 2017.
- T. Mekonnen, E. Harjula, M. Ylianttila, "Energy efficient motion detection in a high-resolution wireless surveillance camera node", MUM '16 Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia, Pages 373-375.
- P. Porambage, A. Heikkinen, E. Harjula, A. Gurtov, M. Ylianttila, "Quantitative Power Consumption Analysis of a Multi-tier Wireless Multimedia Sensor Network", accepted to European Wireless conference, Oulu, Finland, 18-20 May, 2016.
- P. Porambage, A. Braeken, P. Kumar, A. Gurtov, M. Ylianttila, Proxy-based End-to-End Key Establishment Protocol for the Internet of Things, in Proc. of IEEE ICC 2015 - First Workshop on Security and Privacy for Internet of Things and Cyber-Physical Systems, June 2015.
- P. Porambage, A. Braeken, M. Carlier, P. Kumar, A. Gurtov, M. Ylianttila, Secure and Efficient Automatic Ruling in Three-Level Network Architecture, in Proc. of International Workshop on Enhanced Living EnvironMENTs ELEMENT-2015, Ohrid, R. Macedonia, October 2015.
- P. Porambage, A. Braeken, C. Schmitt, A. Gurtov, M. Ylianttila, B. Stiller, Group Key Establishment for Secure Multicasting in IoT-enabled Wireless Sensor Networks , in Proc. IEEE LCN, October 2015.
- P. Porambage, A. Braeken, P. Kumar, A. Gurtov, M. Ylianttila, Efficient Key Establishment for Constrained IoT Devices with Collaborative HIP-based Approach, to appear in Proc. of IEEE Globecom, December 2015.
- P. Porambage, A. Braeken, A. Gurtov, M. Ylianttila, S. Spinsante, Secure End-to-End Communication for Constrained Devices in IoT-enabled Ambient Assisted Living Systems, to appear in Proc. of the 2nd IEEE World Forum on Internet of Things WF-IoT, December 2015.
Chapters in books or edited volumes
- E. Harjula, T. Mekonnen, M. Komu, P. Porambage, T. Kauppinen, J. Kjällman, M. Ylianttila. ”Energy Efficiency in Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networking: Architecture, Management and Security”. In, A Popescu (eds) Greening Video Distribution Networks: Energy-Efficient Internet Video Delivery, Springer, Heidelberg, 2018.