Industrial Edge: Adaptive, Efficient and Reliable Edge Computing for Industrial Applications
The project studies optimal use of Industrial Edge Computing for increasing manufacturing business profitability through improved productivity, security and safety, while maintaining low production infrastructure maintenance and investment costs. Improved productivity can be achieved through higher-capacity communication and higher availability of management systems. Security and safety improve the profitability by decreasing incidents hindering the production and supply chain operation. The automatized operation and optimized function placement help reducing costs through decreased maintenance requirements and better resource-efficiency. The project aims to systematically address the identified key challenges by conducting research on: 1) Adaptive, reliable and failure tolerant edge architecture, 2) Scalable and efficient control and logistics management, and 3) Secure, resilient and efficient communication and data management. The project approaches the identified research questions through an industrial process and logistics management use case. The project will utilize and further develop emerging technologies, such as Mobile Edge Computing (MEC), distributed IoT Edge computing, 5G networks and Blockchain. The economic and strategic impacts of the project research area are tremendous and the used testbeds provide a unique platform for innovation and entrepreneurship, with future commercial potential.
Project coordinatorUniversity of Oulu
Articles in journals
- I. Ahmad, S. Shahabuddin, T. Kumar, E. Harjula, M. Meisel, M. Juntti, T. Sauter & Mika Ylianttila, "Challenges of AI in Wireless Networks for IoT," accepted in IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine, 2020.
- E. Harjula, P. Karhula, J. Islam, T. Leppänen, A. Manzoor, M. Liyanage, J. Chauhan, T. Kumar, I. Ahmad & M. Ylianttila (2019). "Decentralized Iot Edge Nanoservice Architecture for Future Gadget-Free Computing,” IEEE Access 7: 119856-119872. ISSN 2169-3536.
- T. Kumar, A. Braeken, A. Jurcut, M. Liyanage and M. Ylianttila, "AGE: Authentication in Gadget-Free Healthcare Environments," in Information Technology and Management 2019.
- I. Ahmad, S. Shahabuddin, T. Kumar, J. Okwuibe, A. Gurtov and M. Ylianttila, "Security for 5G and Beyond," in IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, 2019.
- T. Mekonnen, M. Komu, R. Morabito, R., T. Kauppinen, E. Harjula, T. Koskela and M. Ylianttila. "Energy Consumption Analysis of Edge Orchestrated Virtualized Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks". IEEE Access, Vol.6, pp. 5090 – 5100, 2017.
Articles in conference proceedings
- T. Kumar, A. Breaken , et.al, " SEC-BlockEdge: Security Threats for Blockchain-Edge Framework for Industrial IoT Applications," Accepted in IEEE RNDM 2019.
- T. Kumar, V. Ramani, I. Ahmad, A. Braeken, E. Harjula and M. Ylianttila, "Blockchain Utilization in Healthcare: Key Requirements and Challenges," 2018 IEEE 20th International Conference on e-Health Networking, Applications and Services (Healthcom), Ostrava, 2018, pp. 1-7.
- V. Ramani, T. Kumar, A. Braeken, M. Liyanage, M. Ylianttila, "Secure and Efficient Data Accessibility in Blockchain based Healthcare Systems", 2018 IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), pp. 206-212.