Education in a Changing World
Action Programme for Research 2015-2019
Research in the Faculty of Education mainly addresses the university’s focus areas of Understanding humans in change and Digital solutions in sensing and interactions. The main theme of research is education in a changing world. Research in the faculty is seeking solutions to how man can exert an active influence on changes instead of just reacting to them.
There are three research units in charge of the faculty’s research: 1) Learning and Learning Processes, 2) Teachers, Teaching and Educational Communities and 3) Values, Ideologies and Social Contexts of Education.
The Faculty’s Mission and Goals
- To reinforce competences to promote well-being and sustainable development especially in northern Finland and in the Arctic region
- To produce internationally recognized, distinctive and socially relevant research
- Research-based teacher education becomes a remarkable part of the entire research profile of the university and one of its strengths
- Teacher training and other education offered by the Faculty, especially the multidisciplinary Master’s programmes, are solidly based on research
- The Faculty has a central role in Eudaimonia and in the development and research of research-based doctoral education at the University of Oulu
Postgraduate education at the Faculty of Education leads to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. Doctoral students become conversant with their field of research and create new scientific knowledge. They participate in the activities of the Faculty research groups and in a wide variety of fomestic and international researcher networks.
Doctoral education aims at both professional and societal qualifications to work in duties at doctoral level. Having completed the doctoral degree, a doctor is well-equipped to use scientific methods to solve problems in either research or other demanding expert duties, and thus likely to find employment in the academic or some other sector.
Doctoral education in the Faculty of Education is part of the University of Oulu Graduate School. Applications for the right to pursue postgraduate studies shall thus be submitted to the UniOGS.
UniOGS Coordinator, Human Sciences
Faculty of Education Doctoral Education Coordinator
Licentiate Degree in the Faculty of Education
A licentiate thesis is submitted in two bound copies and one loose-leaf copy to the study affairs service desk.