Professor Emeritus, University of Oulu (Finland)
Visiting Professor, Dongseo University (Korea)
Tel: +358 50 5570789
Fax: +358 8 553 2774
1983: D.Sc. (Tech.), 1977: Lic.Sc. (Tech.), 1975: M.Sc. (Tech.), all from University of Oulu, Finland
1) Academic research and teaching experience 22 years (full time) with 4 years as full time professor and 8 years with professor’s duties
2) 50 refereed scientific publications and more than 100 other publications
3) Supervisor or co-supervisor of more than 30 Masters and Licentiate thesis and a couple of doctoral thesis
4) Lecturer in 18 different academic courses
Areas of expertise
1) Biomedical engineering
2) Wireless sensors and sensor networks
Finnish (native) and English (fluent)
Swedish and German (workable)
- Kauppinen, Matti; Alasaarela, Esko; Koivula, Antero; Rouhiainen, Sini (2014) Optical tomography for measuring dose distribution in radiation therapy. - Nuclear technology & radiation protection 29 (3), 213-219.
- Takalokastari, Tiina; Alasaarela, Esko; Kinnunen, Matti; Jämsä, Timo (2014) Quality of the wireless electrocardiogram signal during physical exercise in different age groups. - IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics 18 (3), 1058-1064.
- Ye L, Ferdinando H, Seppänen T, Alasaarela, E (2014) Physical violence detection for preventing school bullying. - Advances in Artificial Intelligence 2014, 740358 . http://http://www.hindawi.com/journals/aai/2014/740358/
- E. Warpenius, E. Alasaarela, H. Sorvoja, and M. Kinnunen, ”A mobile user-interface for elderly care from the perspective of relatives,” Informatics for Health and Social Care, early online, 1-12 (2014), DOI: 10.3109/17538157.2013.879148.
- Alasaarela, E., Nemana, R., DeMello, S, Oliver, N.S. and Miyazaki, M., "Wireless for Managing Healthcare – the Wirhe Framework", International Journal of Healthcare Delivery Reform Initiatives, 1(2), 52-73, April-June 2009. Republished as a book chapter: “Mobile solutions for Managing Health Care” in Healthcare Delivery Reform and New Technologies: Organizational Initiatives, Edited by Matthew Guah, pages 150-171, 2011.
- Alasaarela, E., DeMello, S. and Nemana, R., "Comparative National Perspectives on the Future of Wireless in Health Care: Finland and the United States", Journal of Management and Marketing in Healthcare, 2 (4), 1-18, 2009.
- Alasaarela E (2009) Finnish Perspectives of Wireless in Healthcare. International Journal of Electronic Healthcare 5: 177-192.
- Alasaarela E and Oliver N (2009) Wireless Solutions for Managing Diabetes. International Journal of Technology and Health Care 17: 353-367.
- Lee, Young Sil ; Lee, Hoon Jae; Alasaarela, Esko (2013) Mutual Authentication in Wireless Body Sensor Networks (WBSN) based on Physical Unclonable Function (PUF). - Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC), 2013 9th International, 1-5 July 2013, Sardinia. Cai, Jun; Rachedi, Abderrezak; Guizani, Mohsen. 1314 - 1318. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=6583746
- Lee, Y. S., Lee, H. J., Alasaarela, E. and Myllylä, R., ”Security Factors for Healthcare Data - Comparing the Security Threats of Online Banking and Healthcare Information Systems,” Proceedings of GlobalHealth 2012 - The First International Conference on Global Health Challenges, pp. 75-81, Venetia, 2012.
- Sorvala, A., Alasaarela, E., Sorvoja, H. and Myllylä, R., “Activity Classification Using a State Transition Diagram and Activity Levels”. The Sixth International Symposium on Medical Information and Communication Technology, La Jolla, CA, USA, March 26-29, 2012. Available in IEEEXplore.
- Sorvala, A., Alasaarela, E., Sorvoja, H. and Myllylä, R., “A Two-Threshold Fall Detection Algorithm for Reducing False Alarms”. The Sixth International Symposium on Medical Information and Communication Technology, La Jolla, CA, USA, March 26-29, 2012. Available in IEEEXplore.
- Esko Alasaarela, Ravi Nemana, Steven DeMello, "Drivers and challenges of wireless solutions in future healthcare". International Conference on eHealth, Telemedicine, and Social Medicine, eTelemed’09, Cancun, Mexico 1-7.2.2009. Available in IEEEXplore.
- Manne Hannula and Esko Alasaarela, How to transmit artificial information in peripheral nerves without disturbing their natural information flow, Proceedings of the fifth conference on Proceeding of the Fifth IASTED International Conference: biomedical engineering, Innsbruck, Austria, 2007, pages: 9 – 14.
- Manne Hannula and Esko Alasaarela, Evaluation of time and frequency domain charasterictics of heart rate variability with artificial neural network, Proceedings of the 25th IASTED International Multi-Conference, Artificial intelligence and applications, 2007, pages 53 -56.
- Young-Dong Lee, Esko Alasaarela and Wan-Young Chung, A wireless health monitoring system in multi-hop body sensor networks, The 2nd International Symposium on Medical Information and Communication Technology, ISMICT’07, Oulu 2007.
- D-S Lee, S. Bhardwaj, E. Alasaarela & W-Y Chung, “Evaluation of Detecting QRS-complex Function on Sensor Node for Ubiquitous Healthcare System”. The 2nd International Symposium on Medical Information and Communication Technology (ISMICT’07), Oulu, Finland, 11-13 Dec., 4 pages, 2007.
- H. Alamäki, R. Sliz, M. I. Ashraf, H. Sorvoja, E. Alasaarela & M. Hämäläinen, “Measurement oc ECG, Respiratory rate, tilt and temperature of a patient and wireless Zigbee data transmission”. The 2nd International Symposium on Medical Information and Communication Technology (ISMICT’07), Oulu, Finland, 11-13 Dec., 5 pages, 2007.
- Young-Dong Lee, Gaurav Walia, Esko Alasaarela and Wan-Young Chung, Design of Query Supported Healthcare System using Wireless Sensor Ad-hoc Network and its Evaluation. ICCIT 07, Gyeongju, Korea 2007. The conference proceeding will be published by IEEE CS Series.
- Dae-Seok Lee, Sachin Bhardwaj, Esko Alasaarela, Wan-Young Chung, An ECG Analysis on Sensor Node for Reducing Traffic Overload in u-Healthcare with Wireless Sensor Network. The 6th IEEE Sensors Conference, Atlanta 2007.
- Miia Määttälä, Antti Konttila, Wan-Young Chung and Esko Alasaarela, Optimum Place for Measuring Pulse Oximeter Signal in Wireless Sensor-Belt or Wrist-Band, International Conference on Convergence Information Technology, ICCIT 07, Gyeongju, Korea 2007. The conference proceeding will be published by IEEE CS Series.
- Antti Konttila, Miia Määttälä and Esko Alasaarela, Pulse Oximeter Signal Amplitudes in Different Body Parts for Wireless Solutions. International Conference on Future Generation Communication and Networking, FGCN 2007, Jeju Island, Korea 2007.
- Tuomas Reinvuo, Manne Hannula, Hannu Sorvoja, Esko Alasaarela and Risto Myllylä, Measurement of Respiratory Rate with High-Resolution Accelerometer and EMFit Pressure Sensor, SAS 2006 – IEEE Sensors Applications Symposium, Houston, Texas 2006.
- H. Rissanen, K. Isokanniainen, P. Pirinen, and E. Alasaarela, “Wilho - a New Concept of Wireless Management of Healthcare Processes”, 6th Nordic Conference on eHealth and Telemedicine (NCeHT), Helsinki, Finland, Aug. 2006, pp. 229-230.
- Hannula M., Laitinen J., Alasaarela E., “Classification accuracy of frequency analysis method: comparison between supervised SOM and KNN”, Proceedings of the 4th Annual IEEE EMBS Special Topic Conference on Information Technology Applications in Biomedicine, 2003.
- Hannula M, Alasaarela E and Laitinen J, “Neural network analysis of musculoskeletal responses to electrical AC-stimulus”, The 23rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Istanbul 2001.
Last updated: 9.9.2016