1. Education and degrees awarded
2008 D.Sc.(Tech.) in Optoelectronics, University of Oulu, Finland. Electrical Engineering
2006 PhD in Laser Physics, M.V. Lomonosov State University, Russia. Physics
2003 M.Sc. in Physics (summa cum laude), M.V. Lomonosov State University, Russia. Physics
1993-97 High school with advanced studies in physics and mathematics, Gold medal (summa cum laude), Moscow, Russia
2. Other education and training, qualifications and skills
2005-09 Finnish Language courses, University of Oulu, Finland
2000-03 Russian-German Institute for Science and Culture, M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia
3. Linguistic skills
Russian (mother tongue), English (fluent), German (fluent), Finnish (intermediate), French (basic)
4. Current position
2014-present Senior researcher, University of Oulu, Finland
Project management, supervision of postdoctoral researchers (2), supervision of doctoral students (5), lecturing a Master’s course “Sensors and measurement techniques”, “Biophotonics and Biomedical Optics”, organizing visits of world-leading scientists (Prof. L. Wang, Prof. B. Tromberg, Prof. V. Tuchin, Prof. N. Kamata, Prof. K. Larin).
5. Previous work experience
2009-13 Postdoctoral researcher, University of Oulu, Finland
Development of novel sensor modalities based on upconversion nanoparticles, supervision of graduate and undergraduate students, project proposal compilation
2006-07 Visiting researcher, Charité University Hospital, Berlin, Germany
Assessment of phototoxic properties of sunscreen nanoparticles; non-linear imaging of nanoparticle penetration into skin and tooth
2005-06 Researcher, University of Oulu, Finland
Design of sun-protective nanotechnological products
6. Research funding
2015 “Upconversion nanoparticles as a novel platform for cancer diagnostics”, University of Oulu, PI
2015 “Time-gated Raman spectroscopy as a novel modality for assessment of skin carotenoid status and material characterization”, University of Oulu, co-PI
2014-18 “Surface plasmons at work: Visible and infrared light enhanced catalysis and resistive gas sensing”, Academy of Finland, Leading scientist
2014-16 “Hybrid nanoobjects based on self-assembled dendrimers for biomedical applications”, Federal Ministry of Education and Research (Germany), Leading scientist
2011-14 “Biophotonics technologies for novel diagnostic and therapeutic applications – FiDiPro”, Tekes – Finnish Funding Agency for Innovation, Leading scientist
2011-13 “Evaluation and diagnostics of biotissues by non-invasive high-resolving methods of OCT”, Finnish-Russian project, Coordinator
2009-11 “New selective gas sensors based on printed semiconductor nanoparticles”, Tekes – Finnish Funding Agency for Innovation, Deputy coordinator
2005-15 Multiple grants from the University of Oulu, Academy of Finland, CIMO, DAAD, SPIE, private funds, PI and supervisor
7. Merits in teaching and pedagogical competence
Over 11 years long participation in graduate and undergraduate student examination, laboratory training (electrical engineering, optics) in University of Oulu (Finland) and M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University (Russia); invited lecturing at summer school (Jena, Germany; Oulu & Joensuu, Finland; St. Petersburg & Saratov, Russia)
8. Awards, prizes and honours
2015 Visiting Lecturer award, International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE)
2015 Faculty adviser, University of Oulu SPIE Student Chapter
2015 Best paper award, Current Trends in Cancer Theranostics 2015 (Jena, Germany)
2015 Grantee, Institutut Français de Finlande (France)
2012/14 Best poster award, Photonics Europe (Brussels, Belgium)
2011-15 Multiple research travel grants awarded by University of Oulu (Finland)
2009 Best paper award, Summer School (Borovets, Bulgaria)
2007-09 TES and University of Oulu scholarships (Finland)
2007-08 Tauno Tönning scholarships (Finland)
2003-04 Vice president of SPIE M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University Student Chapter
9. Other academic merits
An author of 1 monograph, 1 invited book chapter, over 30 papers in international peer-reviewed journals, 39 SPIE proceedings, and over 80 conference talks including 20 invited presentations. 15 research visits were performed to collaborator laboratories in Europe and Australia. A member of the Scientific Advisory Board of TimeGate Ltd. (Oulu, Finland) and a member of international peer-review committee of Russian Science Fund. An Editorial Board member of Journal of Nanomaterials.
PhD external examiner
Ms. Xin Zhao: “Investigation of in vitro and in vivo skin permeability using laser scanning microscopy”, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia, 2009.
Ms. Zhen Song: “Advanced optical imaging of nanoparticle distribution and transport pathways in human skin”, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia, 2012.
Ms. Elena Volkova: “Synthesis and optical characteristics of semiconductor nanoparticles for biological applications”, Saratov State University, Saratov, Russia, 2013.
Ms. Maria Duka (nee Tsurkan): “Spectral characteristics, optical properties and biological response of neurons, fibroblasts and DNAs within 0.1-2 THz range”, St. Petersburg National Research University of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, St. Petersburg, Russia, 2014.
Mr. Pavel Erokhin: “Atomic force microscopy (AFM) as a tool for microorganism sensitivity assessment to biotic and abiotic factors”, Saratov State University, Saratov, Russia, 2015.
Conference organization and university collaboration
2015 Erasmus+ exchange agreement, Univ. Oulu – Univ. Duisburg-Essen, Germany
2015 Member of Organizing Committee, 7th Finnish-Russian Photonics and Laser Symposium “PALS’15”, Saratov, Russia (30 participants)
2015 Co-Chair, “Current trends in cancer theranostics” conference, Jena, Germany (100 participants)
2013 Member of International Advisory Board, “Laser Applications in Life Sciences” conference
2012-15 Member of International Program Committee, Optics and Biophotonics annual Symposium “Saratov Fall Meeting”, Saratov, Russia, (150 participants)
2011 Member of Organizing Committee, “Finnish Optics Days” conference, Oulu, Finland (70 participants)
2010 Scientific Secretary, “Laser Applications in Life Sciences” conference, Oulu, Finland (250 participants)
2007 Member of Organizing Committee, “Advanced Laser Technologies” conference, Levi, Finland (150 participants)
2010-15 Oulu BioImaging consortium (an associated partner of Euro-Bioimaging infrastructure network)
2002-15 International Society for Optical and Photonics (SPIE)
2011-14 Optical Society of America (OSA)
2011 Special Issue of Journal of Biophotonics, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany
2011 Optic Days, Book of abstracts, Tampere University Press – Juvenes Print, Tampere, Finland, 118 pages, ISBN 978-951-42-9437-2
2010 Laser Applications in Life Sciences, Book of abstracts, Tampere University Press – Juvenes Print, Tampere, Finland, 308 pages, ISBN 978-951-42-6226-5
2008 Advanced Laser Technologies, SPIE proceedings, Bellingham: SPIE Press, USA
2007 Advanced Laser Technologies, Book of abstracts, Oulu University Press, Oulu, Finland, 182 pages, ISBN 978-951-42-8559-2
Ad hoc reviewer
Journal of Biophotonics, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Optics Express, Journal of Biomedical Optics, Optics Letters, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, Skin Pharmacology and Physiology, Experimental Dermatology, Biomedical Optics Express, Sensors and Actuators A – Physical, Applied Optics, Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, Quantum Electronics, Optics and Spectroscopy, Moscow University Physics Bulletin.
10. International collaboration
Prof. T. Vo-Dinh (Duke University, USA), Prof. J. Lademann (Charité Hospital, Germany), Prof. V. Tuchin (Saratov State University, Russia), Prof. M. Roberts (University of Qeensland, Australia), Prof. E. Rafailov (Aston University, UK), Prof. A. Priezzhev (Moscow State University, Russia), A/Prof. A. Zvyagin (Macuqarie University, Australia), Dr. A. Kabashin (Aix-Marseille University, France), Prof. Rotomskis (Vilnius University Laser Center, Lithuania), Prof. Janis Spigulis (University of Latvia, Latvia), Dr. V. Sivakov (Leibnitz Institute of Photonic Technology, Germany).
11. List of selected publications
- I.Yu. Yanina, A.P. Popov, A.V. Bykov, V.V. Tuchin, I.V. Meglinski, “Assessement of temperature-mediated adipose tissue phase transition by refractometry and optical coherence tomography”, J. Biomed. Optics, in press.
- I.Yu. Yanina, E.K. Volkova, A.P. Popov, A.V. Bykov, V.I. Kochubey, A.A. Skaptsov, J.G. Konyukhova, I.V. Meglinski, V.V. Tuchin, “Temperature sensing in adipose tissue in vitro by ZnCdS fluorescent nanoparticles”, J. Biomed. Optics, in press.
- E.K. Volkova, I.Yu. Yanina, E.A. Genina, L.E. Dolotov, A.N. Bashkatov, J.G. Konyukhova, A.P. Popov, E.S. Speranskaya, A.B. Bucharskaya, N.A. Navolokin, I.Yu. Goryacheva, D.A. Gorin, V.I. Kochubey, I.V. Meglinski, V.V. Tuchin, “Luminescence monitoring of particle delivery into rat skin in vivo”, J. Biomed. Optics, in press.
- K. Jokinen, A. Popov, J. Lappalainen, R. Sliz, T. Fabritius, K. Kordas, R. Myllylä, A. Vasiliev, “Performance enhance,ent of polymer electrolyte MEIS gas sensor by DC-biasing”, IEEE Sensors Journal, in press.
- O. Bibikova, A. Popov, A. Bykov, A. Fales, H. Yuan, I. Skovorodkin, M. Kinnunen, S. Vainio, T. Vo-Dinh, V. Tuchin, I Meglinski, “Plasmon-resonant gold nanostars with variable size as contrast agents for imaging applications”, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, in press.
- A. Bykov, T. Hautala, M. Kinnunen, A. Popov, S. Karhula, S. Saarakkala, M. Nieminen, V. Tuchin, “Imaging of subchondral bone by optical coherence tomography upon optical clearing of articular cartilage”, Journal of Biophotonics, accepted.
- N. Agarwal, J. Yoon, E. Garcia-Caurel, T. Novikova, J.-C. Vanel, A. Pierangelo, A. Bykov, A. Popov, I. Meglinski, R. Ossikovski, “Spatial evolution of depolarization in homogeneous turbd media within the differential Mueller matrix fromalism”, Optics Express, accepted.
- M.S. Wróbel, A.P. Popov, A.V. Bykov, M. Kinnunen, M. Jędrzejewska-Szczerska, V.V. Tuchin, “Multi-layered tissue phantoms for noninvasive optical diagnostics”, J. Innov. Opt. Health Sci. 8(3), 1541005 (2015).
- I.V. Krasnikov, A.Yu. Seteikin, A.P. Popov, “Simulation of skin optical properties and its thermal response upon application of sunscreen TiO2 and ZnO nanoparticles”, Optics and Spectroscopy 18(4), 165-171 (2015).
- M.S. Wróbel, A.P. Popov, A.V. Bykov, M. Kinnunen, M. Jędrzejewska-Szczerska, V.V. Tuchin, “Measurements of fundamental properties of homogeneous tissue phantoms”, J. Biomed. Opt. 20(4), 045004 (2015).
- M. Jędrzejewska-Szczerska, M.S. Wróbel, S. Galla, L. Piechowski, A.P. Popov, A.V. Bykov, V.V. Tuchin, A. Cenian, “Use of optical skin phantoms for pre-clinical evaluation of laser efficiency for skin lesion therapy”, J. Biomed. Optics 20(8), 085003 (2015).
- O. Bibikova, A. Popov, A. Bykov, A. Prilepskii, M. Kinnunen, K. Kordas, V. Bogatyrev, N. Khlebtsov, S. Vainio, V. Tuchin, “Optical properties of plasmon-resonanct pristine and silica-coated nanostars used for cell imaging”, J. Biomed. Optics 20(7), 076017 (2015).
- N. Trunina, M. Darvin, J. Lademann, V. Tuchin, R. Myllylä, A. Popov, “Monitoring of TiO2 and ZnO nanoparticle penetration into enamel and dentine of human tooth in vitro and assessment of their photocatalytic properties”, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 20 (3), 7300108 (2014).
- V. Korhonen, T. Myllylä, M.Yu. Kirillin, A.P. Popov, A.V. Bykov, A.V. Gorshkov, E.A. Sergeeva, M. Kinnunen, V. Kiviniemi, “Studies of light propagation in optical sensing of the cerebral cortex of the human brain”, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 20(2), 7100310 (2014).
- M. Mohl, A. Dombovari, E. Tuchina, P. Petrov, O. Bibikova, I. Skovorodkin, A. Popov, A.-R. Rautio, A. Sarkar, J.-P. Mikkola, M. Huuhtanen, S. Vainio, R. Keiski, A. Prilepsky, A. Kukovecz, Z. Konya, V. Tuchin, K. Kordas, “Titania nanofibers in gypsum composites: An antibacterial and cytology study”, J. Mater. Chem. B 2, 1307-1316 (2014).
- A.S. Kolesnikov, E.A. Kolesnikova, A.P. Popov, M.M. Nazarov, A.P. Shkurinov, V.V. Tuchin, “ In vitro terahertz monitoring of muscle tissue dehydration under the action of hyperosmotic agents”, Quantum Electron. 44(7), 633-640 (2014).
- E.V. Khaydukov, V.A. Semchishen, V.N. Seminogov, V.I. Sokolov, A.P. Popov, A.V. Bykov, A.V. Nechaev, A.S. Akhmanov, V.Ya. Panchenko, A.V. Zvyagin, “Enhanced spatial resolution in optical imaging of biotissues labelled with upconversion nanoparticles using a fibre-optic scanning techniques”, Laser Phys. Lett. 11(9), 095602 (2014).
- A.S. Kolesnikov, E.A. Kolesnikova, K.N. Kolesnikova, D.K. Tuchina, A.P. Popov, A.A. Skaptsov, M.M. Nazarov, A.P. Shkurinov, V.V. Tuchin, “THz monitoring of tissue dehydration mediated by osmotic agents”, Physics of Wave Phenomena 22(3), 169-176 (2014).
- A.V. Bykov, M.V. Volkov, M.A. Volynsky, I.P. Gurov, M. Kinnunen, N.B. Margaryants, A.P. Popov, “Fabrication of tissue-mimicking phantoms with capillaries and their characterization by optical coherence tomography”, Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2(84), 98-103 (2013), in Russian.
- E.A. Grebenik, A. Nadort, A.N. Generalova, A.V. Nechaev, V.K.A. Sreenivasan, E.V. Khaydukov, V.A. Semchishen, A.P. Popov, V.I. Sokolov, A.S. Akhmanov, V.P. Zubov, D.V. Klinov, V.Y. Panchenko, S.M. Deyev, A.V. Zvyagin, “Feasibility study of the optical imaging of a breast cancer lesion labeled with upconversion nanoparticle biocomplexes”, J. Biomed. Opt. 18 (7), 076004 (2013).
- A. Popov, A. Bykov, S. Toppari, M. Kinnunen, A. Priezzhev, R. Myllylä, “Glucose sensing in flowing blood and Intralipid by laser pulse time-of-flight and optical coherence tomography techniques”, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 18 (4), 1335-1342 (2012).
- A. Sarkar, A. Shchukarev, A.-R. Leino, K. Kordas, J.-P. Mikkola, P. Petrov, E. Tuchina, A. Popov, M. Darvin, M. Meinke, J. Lademann, V. Tuchin, “Photocatalytic activity of TiO2 nanoparticles: Effect of thermal annealing under various gaseous atmospheres”, Nanotechnology 23, 475711 (2012).
- J. Kukkola, M. Mohl, A.-R. Leino, G. Toth, M.-C. Wu, A. Shchukarev, A. Popov, J.-P. Mikkola, J. Lappalainen, H. Jantunena, K. Kordas, “Inkjet-printed gas sensors: Metal decorated WO3 nanoparticles and their gas sensing properties”, J. Mater. Chem. 22, 17878-17886 (2012).
- A.P. Popov, T. Fabritius, V.N. Zadkov, “Laser applications in life sciences”, J. Biophotonics 4 (3), 141-142 (2011).
- A.P. Popov, A.V. Priezzhev, J. Lademann, R. Myllylä, “Alteration of skin light scattering and absorption properties by application of sunscreen nanoparticles: A Monte Carlo study”, J. Quant. Spectr. Rad. Trans. 112 (11), 1891-1897 (2011).
- I.V. Krasnikov, A.P. Popov, A.Yu. Seteikin, R. Myllylä, “Influence of titanium dioxide nanoparticles on skin surface temperature at sunlight irradiation”, Biomed. Opt. Express 2 (12), 3278-3283 (2011).
- A.P. Popov, A.V. Zvyagin, J. Lademann, M.S. Roberts, W. Sanchez, A.V. Priezzhev, R. Myllylä, “Designing light-protective skin nanotechnology products”, J. Biomed. Nanotech. 6 (5), 432-451 (2010).
- I.V. Krasnikov, A.Yu. Seteikin, A.P. Popov, “Measurement of sun and heat protecting properties of human skin through addition of titanium dioxide nanoparticles”, Optics and Spectroscopy 109 (2), 298-303 (2010).
- A.P. Popov, A.V. Zvyagin, M.S. Roberts, W. Sanchez, J. Lademann, A.V. Priezzhev, R. Myllylä, “Sunscreen nanoparticles: localization in human skin, UV protection, phototoxicity”, J. Series on Biomech. 25 (1-2), 199-202 (2010).
- A.Yu. Seteikin, I.V. Krasnikov, A.P. Popov, A.E. Fotiadi, “Thermal reaction of nanoparticles-contained biotissue on UVA and UVB irradiation”, Scientific-Technical News of St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University, 1 (73), 113-118 (2009).
- A.P. Popov, S. Haag, M. Meinke, J. Lademann, A.V. Priezzhev, R. Myllylä, “Effect of size of TiO2 nanoparticles applied on glass slide and porcine skin on generation of free radicals under ultraviolet irradiation”, J. Biomed. Opt. 14 (2), 021011 (2009).
- A.P. Popov, J. Lademann, A.V. Priezzhev, R. Myllylä, “Biophysical mechanisms of modification of skin optical properties in the UV wavelength range with nanoparticles”, J. Appl. Phys. 105 (10), 102035 (2009).
- A.P. Popov, A.V. Priezzhev, M.S. Fedoseeva, J. Lademann, R. Myllylä, “Calculation of absorption, reflectance, transmission, and depolarization of UV radiation propagating through a layer of suspension of titanium dioxide nanoparticles”, Moscow University Phys. Bull. 64 (5), 513-518 (2009).
- A.P. Popov, A.V. Priezzhev, J. Lademann, R. Myllylä, “Effect of multiple scattering of light by titanium dioxide nanoparticles implanted into a superficial skin layer on radiation transmission in different wavelength ranges”, Quantum Electron. 37 (1), 17-21 (2007).
- A.P. Popov, A.V. Priezzhev, J. Lademann, R. Myllylä, “The effect of nanometer particles of titanium oxide on the protective properties of skin in the UV region”, J. Opt. Technol. 73 (3), 208-211 (2006).
- A.O. Rybaltovskii, V.N. Bagratashvili, A.I. Belogorokhov, V.V. Koltashev, V.G. Plotnichenko, A.P. Popov, A.V. Priezzhev, A.A. Sviridova, K.V. Zaitseva, I.A. Tutorsky, A.A. Ishchenko, “Spectral features of composite oil-in-water emulsions media containing silicon nanoparticles”, Optics and Spectroscopy 101 (4), 590-596 (2006).
- A.P. Popov, A.V. Priezzhev, J. Lademann, R. Myllylä, “Advantages of NIR radiation use for optical determination of skin horny layer thickness with embedded TiO2 nanoparticles during tape stripping procedure”, Laser Physics 16 (5), 751-757 (2006).
- A.P. Popov, A.V. Priezzhev, J. Lademann, R. Myllylä, “TiO2 nanoparticles as an effective UV-B radiation skin-protective compound in sunscreens”, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 38 (15), 2564-2570 (2005).
- A.P. Popov, A.V. Priezzhev, R. Myllylä, “Effect of glucose concentration in a model light-scattering suspension on propagation of ultrashort laser pulses”, Quantum Electron. 35 (11), 1075-1078 (2005).
- A.P. Popov, J. Lademann, A.V. Priezzhev, R. Myllylä, “Effect of size of TiO2 nanoparticles embedded into stratum corneum on ultraviolet-A and ultraviolet-B sun-blocking properties of the skin”, J. Biomed. Opt. 10 (6), 064037 (2005).
Last updated: 12.5.2017