Finland Fellowship Programme for Doctoral Researchers in the University of Oulu
What is the Finland Fellowship programme?
The Finland Fellowship programme helps talented students from non-EU/EEA countries to start their doctoral research in Finland and provides support for the early stages of doctoral training.
The Finland Fellowship covers salary for the first year of research work in Oulu, Finland up to 40 000€ including employers’ side costs. In addition, a relocation cost of 2 000€ is paid to the Fellowship recipient’s Finnish bank account after acceptance to the programme.
Who is eligible to join the programme?
The Finland Fellowship programme is available non-EU/EEA students who have applied for a study right to pursue a doctoral degree at the University of Oulu Graduate School (UniOGS), have been granted the study right and have accepted it.
The selection of a limited number of most talented students is done by the doctoral programme committees of the University of Oulu Graduate School based on the evaluation criteria (see below).
Students indicate their interest in joining the Finland Fellowship programme when completing their study right application.
How to apply?
1. Complete your application to a doctoral degree programme at the University of Oulu in Studyinfo.fi.
UniOGS organises two separate four-month call periods each year:
- Call 1: 1 January - 30 April (at 3.00 pm Finnish time)
- Call 2: 1 July - 31 October (at 3.00 pm Finnish time)
For the application, you need:
- A principal supervisor affiliated with a research unit of the University of Oulu who confirms willingness to supervise with a commitment letter
- A research topic agreed with the supervisor described in detail in your research plan
- Master’s degree certificate and transcript of the record
- Master’s degree completed with good grades
- Demonstration of sufficient English or Finnish language skills
- Brief statement of income
2. Indicate in your study right application that you are interested in joining the Finland Fellowship programme at the University of Oulu.
3. Next application period for the Finland Fellowship is open during 17 October - 6 November, 2022. Fill in the application from the links below:
- Information Technology and Electrical Engineering Doctoral Programme
- Health and Biosciences Doctoral Programme
- Technology and Natural Sciences Doctoral Programme
- Human Sciences Doctoral Programme
What are the evaluation criteria?
Applications for the Finland Fellowship programme are evaluated by the doctoral programme committees of the University of Oulu Graduate School. The criteria that will be applied for the evaluation of all applications are:
- Application and granting of doctoral study right in autumn 2022
- Academic performance and motivation of the applicant
- Scientific quality of the research
- Feasibility and importance of the research
- Motivation to contribute to Research, Development, and Innovation in the Oulu region and in Finland