25th Anniversary Kaamos Symposium
Time: December 8 – 10, 2021, starting at 9:00 (UTC+2)
Places: Saalasti Hall, Linnanmaa Campus, University of Oulu; & Botanical Gardens University of Oulu & Zoom
Conference Zoom link: https://oulu.zoom.us/j/67399406891
IMPORTANT: Latest Covid19-related updates
Due to the regional restrictions imposed by the local authorities, 20 people at the most can attend the public events of the university on the spot. We want to ensure the safety of our symposium and therefore we need to change the arrangements; the mode of the symposium will be changed from a hybrid to an ONLINE mode for the audience, keynote speakers and presenters (upon their choice), chairs of the sessions and the organizing committee will be present at the venue, in Saalasti Hall. We will also have to cancel our poster session with the 25th anniversary celebration at the Botanical Gardens. We apologize for any inconvenience these changes may cause for the presenters and attendees. We warmly welcome all to attend our online conference (Zoom link:https://oulu.zoom.us/j/67399406891) and workshop (Zoom link: https://oulu.zoom.us/j/67131707902) via Zoom. It will be a great opportunity to hear presentations on many interesting topics (see the program below)!
Kaamos symposium is an annual conference in biology and environmental sciences organized by Doctoral students from Ecology and Genetics Unit at University of Oulu. The speakers of Kaamos symposium come from both Finnish and international institutes and allow scientists of various experiences and backgrounds to present their work. This year we are happy to invite you to attend the 25th Anniversary of Kaamos symposium!
This year, the symposium will be held in a hybrid mode: both live on campus and streamed online in Zoom allowing in-person and remote participation for both speakers and general attendees.
The conference includes two days of oral presentations, a poster session, and a workshop on the third day.
The event will be held on December 8 – 9, 2021, at Saalasti Hall, Linnanmaa Campus, University of Oulu and streamed online in Zoom starting at 9:00. A poster session and an evening party to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Kaamos Symposium will be at the Botanical gardens on December 9, 2021 starting from 18:00. The workshop will be organized online via Zoom on December 10, 2021 at 9:00 – 12:00.
Check the Anniversary Logo and the Poster (PDF-files):
- Prof. Dominic Wright, University of Linköping (Sweden)
- Prof. Phillip Watts, University of Jyväskylä (Finland)
- Senior curator Dr. Aleksi Lehikoinen, Finnish Museum of Natural History (LUOMUS), University of Helsinki (Finland)
- Senior Advisor Tuomo Ollila, Metsähallitus (Finland)
All symposium attendees are welcome to join the poster session and the evening party at the Botanical Gardens of University of Oulu. If you wish to present a poster, please, specify it in the symposium registration form below.
Time: December 9, 2021, starting at 18:00
Place: Botanical gardens, University of Oulu
Introduction to Finnish common bird monitoring data and example analyses using R
- Time: December 10, 2021, at 9:00 – 12:00
- Place: online in Zoom; link : https://oulu.zoom.us/j/67131707902
- Instructor: Dr. Aleksi Lehikoinen, Senior curator of Monitoring team, The Helsinki Lab of Ornithology, Finnish Museum of Natural History, University of Helsinki
The workshop will be an introduction to the data types of the breeding bird monitoring schemes of line transects and point counts as well as winter bird surveys. Dr. Lehikoinen will explain how to calculate population trends of species during winter and breeding season and shifts in species center of gravity. Also, brief examples how the data has been used earlier will be given. All the analyses will be conducted in R. No previous experience in R is needed, but basic skills will be useful.
Fees and registration
Attendance is free for everyone.
- Register to symposium as a presenter (talk or poster) latest on November 7, 2021 in this link
- Register to the symposium as a listener (audience) latest on December 6, 2021 in this link
- Register to the workshop in this link
Abstract submission deadline November 15, 2021
Feel free to attend the whole symposium or any of the talks you find interesting.
For University of Oulu students
Due to transition from Weboodi to Peppi, registration in Weboodi is only possible until October 15, 2021. Therefore, remember to register to the symposium via the registration link above if you wish to obtain ECTS credits for completing the tasks.
Bachelor’s and master’s students can get 2 ECTS credits for attending by:
- Registering for the symposium via the registration link above.
- Attending the whole symposium.
- Sending a summary of 5 talks to timo.muotka(at)oulu.fi OR participation in the workshop on December 10, 2021 (registration to workshop is required).
Ph.D. students can get:
- 0.5 ECTS credits by registering to the symposium via the registration link above and attending the whole symposium (considered as attendance of scientific seminars according to UniOGS recommendations).
- 2 ECTS credits by registering to the symposium via the registration link above, attending the whole symposium and and giving an oral presentation.
Kaamos symposium 2021 Abstract book
Wednesday, December 8, 2021
Thursday, December 9, 2021
Friday, December 10, 2021
Workshop: “Introduction to Finnish common bird monitoring data and example analyses using R”.
The event is sponsored by
- Technology and Natural Sciences Doctoral Program, University of Oulu Graduate School (TNS-DP)
- Biodiverse Anthropocenes (ANTS)
- University of Oulu Academics of Finnish Union of University Researchers and Teachers (UOA FUURT)