Teaching is only one of the possible professions for an English Philology graduate. Your job title might range anywhere from translator, game designer, or language specialist to copywriter or journalist, just to name a few. See this graph on töissa.fi to get an overview of the job titles of persons in Finland with English degrees. Career services in the university will help you to find your own, unique path.
Below, you will find links to sites that give you useful information regarding career opportunities in language teaching, language work, and postgraduate studies.
- OAJ (Trade Union of Education in Finland)
- SUKOL Suomen kieltenopettajien liitto - Professional union for language teachers
- OPM Opetus- ja kulttuuriministeriö - Ministry of Education and Culture
- OPH Opetushallitus - Finnish National Board of Education
- Edu.fi Web service for teachers
- Pool of substitute teachers City of Oulu
The students who are interested in pursuing postgraduate studies with us are advised to contact Professor Pentti Haddington or Professor Tiina Keisanen to discuss their research interests and a prospective research plan. All postgraduate students must apply for study rights for doctoral training, and upon being granted those rights, they become members of the University of Oulu Graduate School.
Last updated: 14.10.2019