What is the RPL process like at the University of Oulu?
Degree requirements and learning outcomes are described in the curricula of the faculties. These curricula present discipline-specific principles for RPL. In addition, the university’s Education Council and graduate school (UniOGS) may provide general guidelines for credit transfer.
The RPL process of the University of Oulu, described in the attachment, is always initiated by the student.
- The student initiates the RPL process. Having compiled a personal study plan, the student evaluates his/her prior learning in view of the learning objectives of the courses/competences included in the curriculum. If they match, they have the option of seeking recognition for this prior learning. Assistance to that end will be provided by teacher tutors or other PSP advisors.
- Next, the student prepares an application in OSAT system for recognition of prior learning with the necessary attachments. OSAT application is used to apply for recognition of prior learning in
a) formal RPL: giving credit for learning received at another institute (e.g. university, university of applied sciences/polytechnic or open university) or
b) informal learning: acquired through life/work experience, and non-formal learning, acquired through non-accredited modules of study.
With the help of teacher tutors or other PSP advisors, the student must identify the RPL Assessor (head of the degree programme or subject, the faculty’s Vice-Dean for Education or the Dean of the University of Oulu Graduate School). The RPL Assessor evaluates the presented evidence and decides on the result of the application.
- Before sending in the application, the student must ensure that all attachments specified in the application form are enclosed. A separate application must be submitted for each faculty.
- The student can see the decision by the RPL Assessor in their application in the OSAT system.
- The decision will be entered into the study register by Faculty Study Affairs.
Last updated: 25.2.2019