Registering as absent

New Students

New student registration as absent is done at Faculty Study Affairs: you can e-mail or mail documents to Faculty Study Affairs . Use Enrolment and registration form found at study affairs forms page. You can also visit Faculty Study Affairs in person.

All new students have to register to university by August 12, 2019 at 3.00 pm, by which time any e-mailed or mailed documents need to have arrived to the University. If you do not have a proof of legal grounds for your absence at that time, contact Faculty Study Affairs. Below is a list of documents you can use to prove legal grounds for your absence. Documents need to be in Finnish, Swedish, or in English.

  1. Order to enter service stating that you are undergoing service according to the Conscription Act (1438/2007),the  Non-Military Service Act (S1446/2007), or the Act on Women’s Voluntary Military Service (194/1995)
  2. Certificate of maternity, paternity or parent leave from The Social Insurance Institution of Finland KELA, or if such proof is unavailable, a medical certificate of pregnancy. Alternatively corresponding certificates of statutory parental leave from other countries' authorities.
  3. Sickness Allowance decision, or if such certificate is not available, a medical certificate stating which illness or injury is in question, and that the illness or injury prevents the student from starting their studies on August 1. Also a detailed account applies on the practical arrangements required by the illness or injury that prohibits student from starting their studies, e.g. certificate by student housing foundation stating that the student is on a waiting list for a special needs apartment needed due to student's injury.

If you already have a right to study for a degree and you have now been granted a new study right, you can register as absent for the academic year only if you have legal grounds for your absence.

Should the legal grounds for your absence apply only to the second academic term (e.g. military service or maternity leave beginning of January), you may register as absent for the entire academic year if you wish. You may also change the status of your registration for the spring term from ‘attending’ to ‘absent’ during the spring term registration period by January 31, if you have no study attainments from January.

If you do not register by deadline, you will lose your right to study. If you wish to begin your studies at a later time, you must apply for readmission from the university and pay a re-registration fee.

    Enrolled Students

    Enrolled students can register, check and correct their contact information in WebOodi. You need to have a University of Oulu student account to able to register in WebOodi. You may also change the status of your registration for the spring term from ‘absent’ to ‘attending’ in WebOodi during spring registration period.

    You can also register as absent by e-mailing or mailing a signed Enrolment and registration form found on Student Affairs Forms page. Attach other required documents with the form, e.g. documents that give proof of legal grounds. E-mail or mail the documents to Faculty Study Affairs.
    Enrolment and registration forms are also available at Faculty Study Affairs, and you can also visit them in person.

    Transfer Students

    The same rule for absence applies to both new students and transfer students. According to Universities Act/Polytechnics Act, a first year student may register as absent for their first year of studies only due following reasons:

    1. service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995);
    2. maternity, paternity or parental leave; or
    3. the student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury.

    Last updated: 11.2.2019