Scandinavian Studies Summer Programme, 2nd September to 18th September 2019
Apply to become a tutor for Japanese university students! Next autumn there will be Japanese university students arriving in Oulu and participating Scandinavian Studies Summer Programme organised by the Faculty of Humanities. We are looking for enthusiastic and active tutors to help Japanese students during the Summer School.
This is a great opportunity to get in touch with international students, to show them around in Oulu and to familiarise them with the Finnish and other cultures. In addition, this is an excellent opportunity for you to get in contact with Japanese culture and to make Japanese friends.
We are looking for a minimum of five tutors.
What does being a tutor mean?
- Spending time with Japanese students: e.g. having lunches with the students in Linnanmaa campus or spending time together during evenings and weekends.
- Taking part in the events of the programme: welcome party, baking pulla, playing mölkky etc. (however, you do not need to participate all the events)
- Welcoming students and helping them to accommodation at the hotel on their arrival day.
Who can be a tutor?
- Any student at the University of Oulu - the Japanese students come from different universities and are majoring in different subjects
- Knowledge on the Japanese language and Japanese culture will be an advantage but not a necessity. The Japanese students wish primarily to improve their skills in English.
- We choose tutors based on the motivation letters (see below). Please note that you must participate in the tutor info meeting before the programme starts in the autumn.
How to apply?
Join us and apply by writing a short motivation letter (in Finnish or English) of the reasons why you would be a suitable tutor for the Japanese students! Please, make sure that you schedule enough time for tutoring during the two weeks in September. Send the motivation letter with your contact information (name, e-mail, phone number) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Send the e-mail preferably as soon as possible. However, the official deadline is 31th May. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
What will you get?
- new friends and experiences
You can gain 5 ECTS from the tutoring to be included in Japanese Studies (http://www.oulu.fi/japanstudies/), or possibly to be included in some other studies in exceptional cases. All it takes is to write a learning journal at the end of your tutoring experience (see instructions below).
About the ECTS:
A learning journal in Finnish or in English on one of the themes below (length: 6-10 pages):
- Japanese students’ experiences of Finland (e.g. studying, traveling, environment/surroundings, cultural interaction, etc.)
- The views of the Japanese students about internationality (e.g. with the support of topics such as student exchange, tourism, or some other)
Materials needed for the journals are research literature and conversations, which you have had with the Japanese students. It is also possible to tackle the assignment by interviewing some of the Japanese students. Please, describe also the events and interaction with the Japanese students during your tutoring experience.
You will receive the 5 ECTS from tutoring and the learning journal for the Japanese studies with the course code 700584P. Send the learning journal to University lecturer Seija Jalagin via email (email@example.com) by 12th October 2019.
You are most welcome to join our tutoring team!
Last updated: 7.5.2019