Recognition of prior learning (RPL) refers to transferring credits through previously acquired skills and competencies. These competencies may have been acquired through formal studies or a variety of non-formal and informal means, including life and work experience. RPL is part of study planning and preparation of a personal study plan (PSP).
Faculty of ITEE processes credit transfers for courses belonging to the fields of Engineering and Information Processing Science. Language studies are dealt by the language center. Anyhow, student sends the application always through Student's e-Services OSAT-system.
How do I apply for recognition of prior learning?
First: Check with the responsible teacher of the course, whether or not the teacher supports the application (i.e. is the course you are applying for, equivalent with the one you have done elsewhere). You will need a confirmation from the teacher, stating that the course replacement is accepted. This confirmation can be an email, received from the teacher (saved as a pdf. file).
Then, send your application through Student's e-Services OSAT system. Faculty of ITEE uses OSAT system, starting on Monday 27.11.2017.
You can login to OSAT-system at https://osat.oulu.fi with your university user account. Only PDF-format (file extension .pdf) attachments are accepted. Note! The system is under construction, therefore problems in the system should be reported to helpdesk. Please, take a screen shot if possible. Helpdesk: osat(at)oulu.fi.
Required attachments for RPL-application are (pdf):
- Confirmation (for example an email) from the teacher, stating that he/she accepts the RPL of the course in question.
- Approved PSP in pdf-format (if you could not choose the substituted course directly from the electronic PSP).
- Documentation of education (such as certified copies of certificates and transcripts of records; pdf-copies of the original). Titles of programmes/courses must be provided in English.
- Course descriptions, containing information on course content, learning outcomes, learning methods, literature and credits. If a description is not available in Finnish, Swedish or English, the applicant must provide one in English.
- Applicants with a completed degree must attach a copy of the Diploma or Certificate (pdf-copies of the original) and, at least, the title of the degree earned in English (contained, for example, in the Diploma Supplement). If the degree certificate is not available in Finnish, Swedish or English, the applicant must provide a translation in English.
- Other relevant documentation to establish equivalent learning (e.g. employment certificate).
More information on the RPL process can be found in the university website through the link http://www.oulu.fi/english/studying/supporting-your-studies/recognition-prior-learning-rpl
OSAT system support: osat(at)oulu.fi
Study related support: study.itee(at)oulu.fi
Last updated: 19.2.2018