In the barrier, some basic inbred and outbred strains are produced and maintained as well as the researchers’ own GM strains brought to the barrier through embryo transfer. The basic strains will be renewed regularly in order for them to maintain their genetic originality. The barrier is intended for maintaining mice and the actual animal experiments are conducted at the research department.
Entrance and clothing in the TG barrier
Only KEKS protective clothing is authorised for use inside the barrier.
- Visits to the animal department are agreed upon with the research technician.
- Quarantine periods are observed for personnel access. At least three days (72 hours) must have passed since a visit to other animal spaces. In the event that the animal space has had contagious pathogens, the quarantine period may be longer.
- Protective clothing are found next to the door when entering the barrier lobby area.
- When entering the barrier lobby area, shoe shields must be used and hands must be disinfected.
- In the barrier animal department, cleanroom clothing must be used: overalls, hat, hood, mask, gloves, socks and shoes.
- People entering the animal department must change out of their clothes and put on the department’s protective clothing in accordance with the instructions displayed in the dressing rooms.
- After a change of clothes, the barrier can be entered through the air shower.
Access for animals and microbiological quality assurance
- No living mice are accepted in the barrier.
- Mice of both basic strains as well as GM strains will be brought to the barrier through embryo transfer.
- Microbiological health monitoring for the mice 3 times per year.
- Health inspection for personnel once per year.
Delivery of goods and microbiological quality assurance
- Supply air through hepa filters.
- Irradiated feed, surface sterilisation of feed sacks with hydrogen peroxide or a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and peracetic acid.
- Autoclaved bedding.
- Filtering the animals’ drinking water (particle filter, active carbon filter and UV light).
- Goods are brought inside through the autoclave or lock cabinet.
Last updated: 30.12.2016