Where can animal experiments be performed?

An animal experiment may be performed in an establishment that has an authorisation issued by the Regional State Administrative Agency. The operator and the animal experiment establishment must be mentioned in the project application.

KEKS and the Department of Biology at the University of Oulu have this licence and it is possible to perform animal experiments in these establishments.

KEKS has a licence for the use of gene-manipulated class 1 mice and rats issued by the Board for Gene Technology.

Establishments that do not have a licence for laboratory animal activity can perform non-animal experiments, such as collecting tissue from euthanised animals. Due to factors such as allergy risks, it is always recommendable to handle euthanised animals either in a laboratory animal facility or an appropriate laboratory.

Last updated: 9.1.2017