Legislation on the use of animals for scientific or educational purposes is based on animal protection. The purpose is to ensure that
- The animals are kept and used for scientific or educational purposes only for necessary and important reasons
- A minimum number of animals are used
- Only minimum pain, suffering, distress or lasting harm is caused to the animals
Animal experiments are regulated in accordance with national and international regulations, agreements and guidelines.
The most important regulations are
- The Act on the protection of animals used for scientific or educational purposes (497/2013)
- The Government Decree on the protection of animals used for scientific or educational purposes (564/2013)
- The Directive 2013/63/EU on the protection of animals used for scientific purposes
- In addition, the Gene Technology Act and the Government Decree on Gene Technology concern the use of gene-manipulated animals.
Last updated: 30.12.2016