These studies consist of the following courses:
407536P Comparative perspectives for intercultural education (15 cr)
Students will choose and complete 15 cr. worth of courses from available sources at the University of Oulu or some other institution. Courses will be accepted as a part of the minor through the Recognition of Prior Learning process (http://www.oulu.fi/edu/rpl). Courses need to be approved by the person responsible based on their thematic suitability. Please note that all courses have their own requirements in terms of tasks, requirements, prerequisites and assessment, so make sure you are aware of them.
The courses included in can be:
1. relevant studies completed during exchange and/or
2. relevant courses at the faculty/university, for example:
• 417138P Local/Global agency and gender 5 cr.
• 407523A Plurilingualism and Education in the 21st Century, 5 ECTS cr
• 407518A Global citizenship education, 5 ECTS cr
• 407069A Volunteer field work with asylum seekers, 5 ECTS cr
• 402134A Diversity in Education, 5 ECTS cr
• Courses from other faculties like the Faculty of Humanities
Non-Intercultural Teacher Education students can choose form courses like:
• 407520P Educational Philosophy and Ethics, 5 ECTS cr
• 407534A Nordic education, 5 ECTS cr
• 407537A Second Language Learning and Teaching, 5 ECTS
• 408525S Global Education and Development, 5 ECTS cr (Note MA level)
Non-Education and Globalization students can choose from courses like (all MA level):
• 408512S Perspectives on Globalisation, 5 ECTS cr
• 408527S Comparative Educational Research, 5 ECTS cr
• 408516S Educational policy, planning and leadership, 5 ECTS cr
• 408502S Development and Education, 5 ECTS cr
• 407519A Education and Change, 5 ECTS cr
• 407532A Economics of Education, 5 ECTS cr
• 407540P Language, Education, Society, 5 ECTS cr
If you are unsure if the course that you would like to take is suitable, contact the person responsible
407530P Internship (5 cr)
The Internship should focus on global education and/or intercultural issues in the field of education. The Internship must be planned in advance and the plan must be accepted by the supervisor. After the internship period the student hands in the practice report to the supervisor.
407531P Selected literature (5 cr)
For the Selected literature module, student chooses the materials for reading out of a list provided by the responsible teacher and writes a report on the studied texts.
Education for Intercultural Competencies can be studied as a minor subject by any student presently registered and enrolled at the Faculty of Education, University of Oulu.
For students from other faculties and those pursuing non-degree studies in a minor subject, the deadline for applications is August 15. They are given the right to study a minor subject for the next two academic years.
For the application forms, see http://www.oulu.fi/ktk/lomakkeet.
More details on applying for the right to pursue studies in a minor subject are available from the Faculty’s study advisors. Any questions related to study rights should be addressed to Helena Seppälä, Chief Academic Officer.
Person in Charge
The persons in charge of the minor subject studies Katri Jokikokko.
More Information on the Studies
A more detailed description of the studies in Education for Intercultural Competencies including the courses involved is to be found in the Faculty of Education Catalogue of Minor Subject Studies on WebOodi.
Viimeksi päivitetty: 31.1.2019