Juha Veijola, MD, PhD
Unit of Clinical Neuroscience
University of Oulu, Finland
FIN-90220 University of Oulu, Finland
Mobile phone +358-04-5237413
FIN-90220 Oulu, Finland
Juha Veijola obtained his MD degree in 1985 and received his PhD in 1996 at the University of Oulu, Finland. During 2005-2010 he was appointed as Academy of Finland Research Fellow position to study vulnerability to schizophrenia.
Juha Veijola was appointed as Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Oulu in 2010 and he is currently the head of the department.
Summary of scientific publication activity:
The research activity of Juha Veijola started in 1980s with study in the field of psychiatric epidemiology. Since then the main disorders in interest have been schizophrenia and depression. In latest years the risk state or vulnerability to psychosis has been in the focus area of research. The studies have included brain scanning to describe variations in terms of brain structure and function in psychiatric subpopulations. Most of the studies have been conducted within Northern Finland 1966 and 1986 Birth Cohorts (http://www.oulu.fi/nfbc/).
Juha Veijola has many local and international collaborators, particularly in the University of Cambridge, UK, and University of Toronto, Canada.
Juha Veijola has published 150 peer reviewed publications in international scientific journals with a total of about 4,000 citations. The h-index is 30 (Web of Science 03/2015).
Juha Veijola is a member of the Executive Committee and Data and Publication Committee of the Northern Finland 1966 and 1986 Birth Cohorts (http://www.oulu.fi/nfbc/).
He is member of Doctoral training committee for Health and Biosciences in the University of Oulu Graduate School.
Scientific interest and research projects:
Juha Veijola leads two research projects: population neuroscience (Medical Research Center) and Marginalization in Northern Finland (Thule Institute).
Selected papers for past 5 years:
- Pulkkinen J, Nikkinen J, Kiviniemi V, Mäki P, Miettunen J, Koivukangas J, Mukkala S, Nordström T, Barnett JH, Jones PB, Moilanen I, Murray GK, Veijola J. Functional mapping of dynamic happy and fearful facial expressions in young adults with familial risk for psychosis - Oulu Brain and Mind Study. Schizophrenia Research 2015 Feb 18. pii: S0920-9964(15)00069-9. doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2015.01.039.
- Jukuri T, Kiviniemi V, Nikkinen J, Miettunen J, Mäki P, Mukkala S, Koivukangas J, Nordström T, Parkkisenniemi J, Moilanen I, Barnett JH, Jones PB, Murray GK, Veijola J. Central executive network in young people with familial risk for psychosis – the Oulu Brain and Mind Study, Schizophrenia Research, 2015;161:177-83
- Veijola J, Guo JY, Moilanen JS, Jääskeläinen E, Miettunen J, Kyllönen M, Haapea M, Huhtaniska S, Alaräisänen A, Mäki P, Kiviniemi V, Nikkinen J, Starck T, Remes JJ, Tanskanen P, Tervonen O, Wink AM, Kehagia A, Suckling J, Kobayashi H, Barnett JH, Barnes A, Koponen HJ, Jones PB, Isohanni M, Murray GK. Longitudinal changes in total brain volume in schizophrenia: relation to symptom severity, cognition and antipsychotic medication. PLoS One. 2014 Jul 18;9(7):e10189.
- Roman-Urrestarazu A, Murray GK, Barnes A, Miettunen J, Jääskeläinen E, Mäki P, Nikkinen J, Remes J, Mukkala S, Koivukangas J, Heinimaa M, Moilanen I, Suckling J, Kiviniemi V, Jones PB, Veijola J. Brain structure in different psychosis risk groups in the Northern Finland 1986 birth cohort. Schizophrenia Research. 2014;153:143-9.
- Mäki P, Koskela S, Murray GK, Nordström T, Miettunen J, Jääskeläinen E, Veijola JM. Difficulty in Making Contact with Others and Social Withdrawal as Early Signs of Psychosis in Adolescents - the Northern Finland Birth Cohort 1986. Eur Psychiatry, 2014;29:345-51
- Ripke S…Veijola J… O'Donovan MC (302 authors), Biological Insights From 108 Schizophrenia-Associated Genetic Loci, Nature, 2014;511:421-7.
- Mukkala S, Ilonen T, Koskela J, Nordström T, Loukkola J, Miettunen J, Barnett JH, Murray GK, Jones PB, Heinimaa, M, Jääskeläinen E, Mäki P, Moilanen I, Veijola J. Response initiation in young adults at risk for psychosis in the Northern Finland 1986 Birth Cohort, Cognitive Neuropsychiatry, 2014;19:226-40
- Veijola J, Mäki P, Jääskeläinen E, Koivukangas J, Moilanen I, Taanila A, Nordström T, Hurtig T, Kiviniemi V, Mukkala S, Heinimaa M, Lindholm P, Jones PB, Barnett JH, Murray GK, Miettunen J. Young people at risk for psychosis: case finding and sample characteristics of the Oulu Brain and Mind Study. Early Intervention in Psychiatry, 2013; 7:146-54
- Jukuri T, Kiviniemi V, Nikkinen J, Miettunen J, Mäki P, Jääskeläinen E, Mukkala S, Koivukangas J, Taanila , Moilanen I, Heinimaa M, Barnett JH, Jones PB, Murray GK, Veijola J. Default mode network in young people with familial risk for psychosis – the Oulu Brain and Mind Study. Schizophrenia Research, 2013; 143:239-45
- Tero Raiskila, Sanna Blanco Sequeiros, Jorma Kiuttu, Marja-Liisa Kauhanen, Kristian Läksy, Kirsi Vainiemi, Annamari Tuulio-Henriksson, Helinä Hakko, Matti Joukamaa, and Juha Veijola The impact of an early eclectic rehabilitative intervention on symptoms in first episode depression among employed people, Depression research and treatment, 2013;2013:926562.
- Raiskila T, Blanco Sequeiros S, Kiuttu J, Kauhanen M-L, Läksy K, Rissanen P, Vainiemi K, Tuulio-Henriksson A, Veijola J*, Joukamaa M* (* equal contribution) Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder is common among Occupational Health Care clients with depression, Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 2013 Feb;55(2):168-71
- Mukkala S, Ilonen, T, Nordström, T, Miettunen J, Loukkola, J, Barnett, JH, Murray, GK, Jääskeläinen, E, Mäki, P, Taanila, A, Moilanen, I, Jones, PB, Heinimaa, M, Veijola, J Different vulnerability indicators for psychosis and their neuropsychological characteristics in the Northern Finland 1986 Birth Cohort. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 2011; 33:385-94.
- Mäki P, Riekki T, Miettunen J, Isohanni M, Jones PB, Murray GK, Veijola J. Schizophrenia in the offspring of antenatally depressed mothers in the Northern Finland 1966 Birth Cohort - relationship to family history of psychosis, American Journal of Psychiatry, 2010;167:70-77
- J. Koivukangas, T. Tammelin, M. Kaakinen, P. Mäki, I. Moilanen, A. Taanila, and J. Veijola. Physical activity and fitness in adolescents at risk for psychosis within the Northern Finland 1986 Birth Cohort, Schizophrenia Research, 2010, 116; 152-158
- Biswal BB, Mennes M, Zuo X, Gohel S, Kelly C, Smith SM, Beckmann CF, Adelstein JS, Buckner RL, Colcombe S, Dogonowski AM, Ernst M, Fair D, Hampson M, Hoptman MJ, Hyde JS, Kiviniemi V, Kötter R, Li SJ, Lin CP, Lowe MJ, Mackay C, Madden DJ, Madsen KH, Margulies DS, Mayberg HS, McMahon K, Monk CS, Mostofsky SH, Nagel BJ, Pekar JJ, Peltier SJ, Petersen SE, Riedl V, Rombouts S, Rypma B, Schlaggar BJ, Schmidt S, Seidler RD, Siegle G, Sorg C, Teng GJ, Veijola J, Villringer A, Walter M, Wang L, Weng XC, Whitfield-Gabrieli S, Williamson P, Windischberger C, Zang YF, Zhang HY, Castellanos FX, Milham MP. Towards Discovery Science of Human Brain Function, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS), 2010; 107:4734-9.