György Kálmán Sándor, MD, DDS, PhD, Dr. Habil.
Professor in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
FIN-90014 UNIVERSITY OF OULU
E-mail: george.sandor (at) oulu.fi
Phone: +358 504 280906
Professor György Kálmán Sándor received his dental degree in 1978 and then his medical degree in 1986, both from the University of Toronto, Canada. He completed his training as an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon at the University of Washington in Seattle USA and Arnhem, The Netherlands in 1982. György Sándor completed his residency in Plastic Surgery at the University of Toronto in 1991. He trained in Fellowships as a Craniofacial Surgeon in Paris, France and Bern, Switzerland in 1992. György Sándor defended his thesis and completed his PhD at the University of Oulu in Finland in 2003. György Sándor became a Dosent at the University of Oulu and received his Doctor of Habilitation from Semmelweis Medical University in Budapest, Hungary in 2004.
György Sándor is currently Professor of Tissue Engineering and Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Oulu and Oulu University Hospital in Oulu, Finland. He was formerly Professor of Tissue Engineering at Regea Institute for Regenerative Medicine, BioMediTech, Institute for Biosciences and Medical Technology at Tampere University, Tampere, Finland having been funded through the competitive Finnish Distinguished Professor Program (FiDiPro) by the Finnish Granting Agency, TEKES. Professor Sándor has been the recipient of numerous awards for teaching, research and innovation.
The research focuses of Professor Sándor include the Tissue Engineering of Bone using Cell Therapy with both autologous and allogeneic adipose derived stem cells. His experience includes the use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy as it pertains to angiogenesis and bone healing in compromised wounds. Professor Sándor has a major interest in reconstruction and management of congenital cleft lip and palate and craniofacial defects, traumatic and post ablative defects with navigation, as well as computer assisted planning of reconstructions including the use of dental implants in pediatric, adolescent and young adult patients. Professor Sándor is the Group Leader of the MRC Oulu research group in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Tissue Engineering.
Professor Sándor has published over 200 peer reviewed scientific papers, written 29 book chapters, published 2 books, secured 4 patents and delivered over 100 invited lectures all over the globe.
- Jan A, Sándor GK, Iera D, Mhawi, A, Peel SA, Clokie CML. Hyperbaric oxygen results in an increase in rabbit calvarial critical sized defects. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology. 2006; 101(2): 144-149.
- Fok, TCO, Jan A, Peel SA, Clokie CML, Sándor GK. Hyperbaric oxygen results in an increase in vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) protein expression in rabbit calvarial critical sized defects. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology. 2008; 105(4): 417-422.
- Tirkkonen L, Halonen H, Hyttinen J, Kuokkanen H, Sievänen H, Koivisto AM, Mannerström B, Sándor GK, Suuronen R, Miettinen S, Haimi S. The effect of vibration loading on adipose stem cell number, viability and differentiation toward bone-forming cells. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. 2011; 8(65): 1736-1747.
- Sándor GK, Tuovinen VJ, Wolff J, Patrikoski M, Jokinen J, Nieminen E, Mannerström B, Lappalainen OP, Suuronen R, Miettinen S. Adipose stem cell (ASC) tissue engineered construct used to treat large anterior mandibular defect: A case report and review of the clinical application of GMP-level ASCs for bone regeneration. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2013; 71(5): 938-50.
- Sándor GKB, Numminen J, Wolff J, Thesleff T, Miettinen A, Tuovinen VJ, Mannerström B, Patrikoski M, Seppänen R, Miettinen S, Rautiainen M, Öhman J. Adipose stem cells used to reconstruct 13 cases with cranio-maxillofacial hard-tissue defects. STEM CELLS Translational Medicine 2014; 3(4): 530-540.
- Sándor GK, Bujtár P, Wolff J. Three-dimensional Computer-aided Surgical Workflow to Aid in Reconstruction: From Diagnosis to Surgical Treatment. Annals of Maxillofacial Surgery. 2014; 4(2): 128-131.
Sàndor GKB, Carmichael RP. Dental Implants in Children, Adolescents an Young Adults. Atlas of the Oral and Maxillofacial Clinics of North America. ISBN# 1-4160-5832-X. March 2008.
Bennun RD, HarFin J, Sàndor GK, Genecov D. Cleft Lip and Palate Managrment: A Comprehensive Atlas. Willey Blackwell. ISBN# 9781118607541, May 2015.