Leena Ylikontiola, MD, DDS, Spec.OMFS, PhD
FIN-90014 University of Oulu
E-mail: leena.ylikontiola (at) oulu.fi
Phone: +358 40 7438412
Dr. Leena Ylikontiola received her dental degree in 1986 and then her medical degree in 2008 both from the University of Oulu. She completed her training as an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon at the University of Oulu in 1998. Leena Ylikontiola defended her thesis on neurosensory disturbances of the mandible and completed her PhD at the University of Oulu in Finland in 2002. She is the recipient of numerous awards and grants.
Dr. Leena Ylikontiola is currently the Director of the Cleft Lip and Palate Program at Oulu University Hospital in Oulu, and Research Doctor in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Oulu.
The research focuses of Dr. Ylikontiola include the management of cleft lip and palate and craniofacial defects, Tissue Engineering of Bone, the use of bone grafting with dental implants and the role of autotransplanted teeth in the management of malocclusion. Dr. Ylikontiola is a member of the MRC Oulu research group in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Tissue Engineering.
Dr. Ylikontiola has published 31 peer reviewed scientific papers and has written 4 book chapters and has delivered over 20 invited international lectures.
- Ylikontiola LP, Kinnunen J, Oikarinen K. Factors Affecting Neurosensory Disturbance After Mandibular Bilateral Sagittal Split Osteotomy. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2000; 58: 1234-9.
- Ylikontiola LP, Kinnunen J, Oikarinen K. Prediction of neurosensory deficit after bilateral sagittal split osteotomy. Oral Med Oral Path Oral Surg 2000; 90: 275-81.
- Ylikontiola LP, Sundquist K, Sandor GK, Törmala P, Ashammakhi N. Self-reinforced bioresorbable poly-L/DL-lactide [SR-P(L/DL)LA] 70/30 miniplates and miniscrews are reliable for fixation of anterior mandibular fractures: a pilot study.
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2004; 97(3): 312-7.
- Sàndor GK, Ylikontiola LP, Serlo W, Carmichael RP, Nish IA, Daskalogiannakis J. Midfacial Distraction Osteogenesis. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America 2005; 17(4): 485-501.
- Lithovius RH, Ylikontiola LP, Harila V, Sándor GK. Frequency of pharyngoplasty after primary repair of cleft lip and palate in Northern Finland. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology. 2014; 117(3): 430-434.
- Lithovius RH, Ylikontiola LP, Sándor GK. Incidence of Palatal Fistula Formation following Primary Palatoplasty in Northern Finland. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology. 2014; 118(6): 632-636.