ay041201A Basics in eHealth (OPEN UNI) 5 ects
Course dates: during the 3rd period of the academic year. This course is organized individually by the Open University of Oulu (see Other information).
Upon completion of the course:
- The student can define central information and communication technology (ICT) terms and solutions in healthcare, and can list respective applications in healthcare services and training.
- The student can evaluate the societal and economic significance of information and communication technology in healthcare
- The student can understand the position of e-health and telemedicine solutions as a part of the national health care information system.
- The student receives an initial view of future health ICT trends from clinical perspective and possibilities to contribute to these with his/her professional background
terms and concepts
- societal dimensions
- delivery of health services
- electronic patient records
- digital radiology
- data transfer within the health care system
- data transfer between the health care professionals and the citizens
- citizens providing their own health data, mHealth-solutions
- national healthcare information exchange in Finland
- remote consultations, examples like teleradiology, telepsychiatry, telerehabilitation
- economical and functional assessment
- remote education in health care
- future visions of health care information systems
- changing current topics in connected health like: Artificial Intelligence, knowledge based medicine, cybersecurity etc. according to availability
- Most of the presented examples in the course are based on information system installations in Northern Finland
Interactivity takes place in Moodle virtual learning environment. The course consists of videotaped lectures, power point presentations and links to other material available in the web. Performance of duties includes written tasks, exam, participating in moderated discussions on the grounds of the lectures.
Web lectures 15h / web exams 40h / written tasks 40h / self-study and participation in web discussion 40h
*Autumn 2020: the course will be organized as a part of the study module “FutureDigiHealth” (25 ECTS cr) by collaborating summer universities of the UOULU Open University
*Spring 2021: the course will be organized by UOULU Open University as a single independent course.
See more in "Other information".
All recommended or required reading is offered in Moodle virtual learning environment or in linked web pages.
Web tasks, contribution to moderated discussion, written tasks and course exams and optional final exam.
The course utilizes a numerical grading scale 0 – 5. In the numerical scale zero stands for a fail.
Web-based teaching in English
Anyone who is interested in achieving a basic understanding of e-health, telemedicine and patient record systems in the present healthcare delivery system. The course gives additional knowledge to those already working in healthcare but is also targeted to those coming from industry and other areas of society interested in collaboration with digital health environments.
Kindly note that there is two different implementations of this course, which have different responsible organizers and thus, different registration and other information.
*First implementation is in autumn 2020 as a part of the study module ayA551112 ”FutureDigiHealth” (25 ECTS cr) organized by collaborating summer universities of the UOULU Open University. More detailed information about the studies as a part of the module kindly contact the collaborating summer university of your choice as follows (in alphabetical order). (The study module can be included in health sciences students´ minor subject studies.)
Hämeen kesäyliopisto (Häme Summer University)
Jyväskylän kesäyliopisto (Jyväskylä Summer University)
Kainuun Korkeakouluyhdistys ry / Kainuun kesäyliopisto (Kainuu Summer University)
Pohjois-Pohjanmaan kesäyliopisto (Summer University of Northern Ostrobothnia)
*Second implementation in spring 2021 as a single independent course organized directly by UOULU Open University. There is a separate call and registration for this individual course in the web site of the UOULU Open University (web site in Finnish). Should you need help in registration, kindly contact Jaana Orava avoin.yliopisto(at)oulu.fi.
The maximum number of students in any implementation of the course is 20 in order of registration.