SOLOGS - Low Carbon Logistics in Local Social and Health Care Services
This project aims to develop carbon efficiency of social and healthcare service network by bringing new knowledge about reasonable service locations and efficient patient and material logistics. As subtasks, the project develops the entity of social and healthcare services in Northern Ostrobothnia region from the viewpoints of customer accessibility, market potential and logistics service network. New solutions for thin material flows with long distances are sought through transport integration. Also, the project develops opportunities for geographically mobile services in the region. The project uses both interviews and focus-group discussions as well as location based geographic information systems (GIS) based network analysis. The results are produced to good practices and forms being ready for piloting.
Project coordinatorUniversity of Oulu
Related research publications:
- Maantiede terveyspalvelujen avuksi (2019), Article of SOLOGS by Jarno Mällinen in Pohjanpiiri-magazine (pages 16-17).
- Pohjosenperä, T., Kotavaara, O. & Juga, J. (2019), Mobile healthcare facilities vs. health centres - Comparing the service structure strategies in reducing CO2-emissions. 26th EurOMA Conference June 17-19.2019 "Operations adding value to society", Helsinki, Finland.
- Pohjosenperä, T., Kotavaara, O. & Juga, J. (2019), CO2 Emissions in healthcare logistics - Assessing the effects of green logistics initiatives. The 31st annual NOFOMA Conference 12-14. June 2019 "Supply Chain Designs and Sustainable Development of Societies" - Oslo, Norway.
- Kotavaara, O. & Pohjosenperä, T. (2019), Spatially optimized health services - Effectiveness and equality of primary health care service network accessibility in Northern Ostrobothnia. Geographic Information Science Research - UK (GISRUK), Newcastle, United Kindom.
- Peltomaa, M. (2019), User-centric service design in mobile health care services.
- Pohjosenperä, T., Kekkonen, P., Pekkarinen, S. & Juga, J. (2019), Service modularity in managing healthcare logistics. The International Journal of Logistics Management, 30(1), pp.174-194.
- Kotavaara, O., Pohjosenperä, T. & Rusanen, J. (2018), Integrated location-allocation of private car and public transport users – Primary health care facility allocation in Oulu region in Finland. 21th AGILE International Conference on Geographic Information Science.
The project is carried out in University of Oulu by researchers of Geoinformatics (Faculty of Science) and Logistics (Department of Marketing, Management and International Business, Oulu Business School).
Funding partners are Council of Oulu Region, European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), Coronaria Hoitoketju Oy, Northern Ostrobothnia Hospital District, City of Oulu, Oulunkaaren kuntayhtymä, Kallion peruspalvelukuntayhtymä, Peruspalvelukuntayhtymä Selänne, Sosiaali- ja terveyspiiri Helmi and NordLab.
Total funding amount is 199 000 €, of which ERDF covers 70 % (139 300 €).