Research devices and analytic instruments available in the Laboratory of Process Metallurgy
- Netzsch STA 449 F3 Jupiter. Simultaneous mass and modulated heat difference measurement with optional mass spectrometer gas analysis, modulated heating up to 2000°C temperature. The device was purchased in 2011.
- Netzsch STA 409 PC Luxx and Netzsch QMS 403 C quadrupole mass spectrometer. Simultaneous mass and heat difference measurement with optional mass spectrometer gas analysis up to 1500°C temperature. The device was purchased in 2003.
- TA Instruments SDT 2960. Simultaneous mass and temperature difference measurement up to 1500°C. Year 1996.
- Optical dilatometer. Dimensional change measurement up to 1500°C temperature.
- BW-tek voyage Confocal Raman in olympus BX51 microscope. QImaging MicroPublisher 3.3RTV camera. Raman spectrum and dimensional measurement with high temperature stage from linkam up to 1500°C.
- TGA; Mass measurement in reducing atmosphere 1500°C
- Blast furnace gas phase simulator with entech furnace. Mass measurement in reducing CO,CO2,N2,H2,H2O,K,S, atm 1800°C
- Pellet furnace 1000/80 entech. Evolved Gas Analysis,CO,CO2,H2,H2O, measurement in reducing atmosphere 1300°C
- High temperature viscometer; Rotational viscosity measurement 1700°C
Other High Temperature devices
- Entech Thermal Gradient furnace 1800°C
- Nabertherm Chamber furnace 150x150x300mm 1800°C
- Pressure furnace 10 bar,1500°C
- Microwave oven for research.
- MW-HS-06 High temperature microwave reactor
Other devices and tools
- Watermodels; The models visualize phenomenon taking place inside a converter and ladle like steel / slag flow and wearing of refractory materials.
- Briquetting machine. Compacting fine metallurgical particles and re-feeding them back to process. Maximum pressure is 210 bar/briquette and vibration 60 Hz. Briquette size is 50mm in diameter and 100mm in height.
- Inclusion electrolytic extraction. Potentiostat Biologic SP-150 and self-made cell is used in extraction. Inclusions is then studied separately with FESEM, particle size analyzer etc.
- Termodynamic calculation programs; HSC, Chemsage and Fact Sage programs are for thermodynamic equilibrium calculations.
- Microscopes; An Olympus polarizing microscope BX51P with micropublisher 5.0RTV camera and Olympus research stereomicroscope SZX9 with DP-12 camera. The microscopes were purchased in 2001.
- Materialographic surface preparation of solid materials; Struers Epovac vacuum impregnation equipment. Grinding and polishing is done with Struers LaboForce-1 and LabPol-6. The ready samples go through ultrasonic cleaning before use. The devices were purchased in 2002.
Nearby available facilities
- Within the University of Oulu:
The Micromeritics ASAP 2020 Gas sorption analyzer, measures surface area and determinates pore size distribution. A high speed camera Hisis2002. An AAS Perkin Elmer 600 and 4100. A multi-wavelength particle size analyzer, Beckman coulter LS 13320.
Center of Microscopy and Nanotechnology (CMNT) -within the University of Oulu:
The EOL facilities are based on the use of seven instruments: EFTEM, XPS, FESEM, STEM, EPMA, XRD and XRF. They provide three basic kinds of information: images, chemical analyses and crystal structures.
Trace element laboratory -within the University of Oulu:
Plasma atomic emission spectrometry (DCP-AES, ICP-AES) and plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS). These equipment provide chemical analyses of difficult samples.
- At SSAB in Raahe Works: There is for example XRF, XRD, OES and SEM
- At Outokumpu Stainless in Tornio Works: There is for example XRF, OES and SEM.
Last updated: 19.3.2019