UniOulu Self-Hack is a one-day-workshop where students work in a small groups. Every group needs a facilitator who themselves has participated in Self-Hack and Self-Hack facilitator training and therefore knows the principles of the method and the process.
The most important task of a facilitator is to support and help their group when working with the materials. Facilitator is the first person to create safe and fun environment for working and teambuilding. Don't worry if you don't have any earlier experience on fasilitating, as what matters the most is that you are motivated and eager to help new students during the event and that you also are committed to participate in the trainings. It is absolutely crucial that you commit and take responsibility as your role in being a facilitator.
Facilitator is not a teacher and not really a counselor either. Facilitator is the one who creates the space and atmosphere for working - a person who supports individuals and the group and makes sure they are proceeding with their materials. Facilitator is the one who takes care that the group has a nice space to work on and that you stay on the schedule - as a facilitator you are taking care that the group has everything in order them to succeed and reach their goal. The goal of UniOulu Self-Hack is that at the end of the day every student who participates would have a few goals and a plan for the near future written down on paper including the promise they are making to reach their goals.
What's also important to note is that during Self-Hack students' are focusing on their own lifes and their own wishes and goals so no one else can be the expert of their lives but themselves. This means that you are not meant to give straight answers or instructions on what anyone should do with their lives but rather ask a lot of questions, be curious and give a helping hand when someone is in a very need of it.
Facilitator’s tasks during Self-Hack:
- Taking care & ensuring the practicalities needed for smooth Self-Hacking (scheduling, hosting the conversation, instructing the exercises, having breaks etc.)
- Creating a safe & relaxed atmosphere
- Take notice of all the group members as part of Self-Hack
- Observing the energy levels and hosting energizers when needed
- genuine motivation to help new students with their orientation to new studies
- excitement to create the event with us
- participating in the trainings (Self-Hack 5hours + facilitator training 5hours) and familiarizing with the Self-Hack material
- commitment to facilitator’s role and trustworthiness!
What do facilitators get?
- you learn the Self-Hack method and pedagogical skills
- you get tools to look at your own future and learn how to utilize design thinking
- you get a Self-Hack facilitator certificate which you can include in your CV for example
- you get a University of Oulu college shirt of your own choice :)
- it’s possible to earn 5 credits as part of Oulu Business School Entrepreneurial Assignment-course
- you get to know the new students of our University in a totally unique way!
Check out the training dates and sign up here: https://webropol.com/s/sh-en2020.
You can also borrow the following book from Pegasus library to get some prepping on the basics of life design; Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful Life; Burnett, William, Evans, David J. (2016).
As a facilitator, besides the new students themselves, you are the most important person of the day. Without your support the group would be on their own for the whole day and we don't want that. So be curious and join us for facilitating!
Last updated: 5.2.2020