Below is the key information from these notices (however, read the full information also):
Are you a citizen of EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland?
- If your answer is ‘NO’ and you plan to study in Finland for more than three months, you will need a residence permit.
- If your answer is ‘YES’, you do not need a residence permit. Information on EU citizens’ registrations is available at www.poliisi.fi.
If you are coming to Finland for postgraduate studies (licentiate/doctor’s degree) and you receive financial compensation at least 1173 eur, a grant or a scholarship from an official institution in Finland or abroad:
- you need a residence permit based on scientific research
- For more useful information go to: www.migri.fi/working_in_finland/an_employee_and_work/researcher
If you are coming to Finland for postgraduate studies (licentiate/doctor’s degree) AND you are funding your stay with your own funds or your financial compensation is less than 1173 eur in a month:
- you need a residence permit based on studying
- For more useful information go to: www.migri.fi/studying_in_finland
Last updated: 12.6.2017