Incoming international students have several options on how to arrange housing, either through the local student housing foundation PSOAS or through private markets.
Student housing during Autumn term is always more full than during Spring.
PSOAS student housing
PSOAS is the leading provider of student accommodation in Oulu. The organisation operates on a foundation basis which ensures affordable rents for students. Following its mission, PSOAS offers housing services for people studying in Oulu as cheaply as possible.
PSOAS offers almost 5,500 places to live - about 1,300 family apartments and 2,800 small apartments. All PSOAS properties have a fixed Internet connection and the comfort of tenants is increased by the actions taken by the local maintenance assistant and tenant committee.
Students are encouraged to apply for housing as early as possible. More information on housing and how to apply at PSOAS website.
Other housing providers and more information
If you do not receive housing through PSOAS please have a look at these options. Some of these offer several options while others are small, individual locations.
Many Finnish students leave Oulu for a semester or two to go abroad themselves and sublet their flats/rooms - usually furnished. Here are some links to advertising sites.
- Oulun Sivakka Oy
- Lumo: Rental apartments in Oulu
- M2 Kodit
- Kodisto.fi - different types of apartments for rent
- To find or sublet an apartment, a facebook group administered by Humans of Oulu team.
- Housing close to the Kontinkangas campus (i.e. Faculty of Medicine): Medikiinteistöt Oy, contact them for an English application.
- OVV Asuntopalvelut, available apartments, contact: email@example.com.
- Iskon mummola, room rental service (especially for temporary housing)
If you are not able to find housing in advance arriving to Oulu with short term housing is also possible, finding a room after you have already arrived in Oulu can then be easier. You can look for short term housing for example through Airbnb or similar.
Last updated: 21.2.2019