The Biocenter Oulu Governing Board has made a decision on the projects to be taken into Biocenter Oulu for the period 2012–2015.
The selection was based on independent international scientific evaluation. The accepted ten project leaders and their research topics are as follows:
- Hiltunen Kalervo: Peroxisomes and Mitochondria in Lipid Metabolism of Cells
- Kietzmann Thomas: Oxygen Sensing and Oxygen-Dependent Gene Expression
- Kursula Petri: Structural Biology of the Myelin Membrane
- Myllyharju Johanna: Key Enzymes in the Synthesis of Collagens and the Response of Cells to Hypoxia
- Pihlajaniemi Taina: Conserved Collagens in Cell–Matrix Homeostasis
- Ruddock Lloyd: Mechanisms and Applications of Disulfide Bond Formation
- Savolainen Markku, Herzig Karl-Heinz and Järvelin Marjo-Riitta: Molecular Determinants of the Metabolic Syndrome
- Savolainen Outi and Sillanpää Mikko: Genetical and Statistical Evolutionary Genomics: Analysis of Adaptive Phenotypic Variation
- Vainio Seppo: Genetic Control of Organogenesis
- Winqvist Robert: Hereditary Predisposition to Breast Cancer: Novel Susceptibility Factors and their Functional Characterisation and Impact on Disease Risk and Behaviour
Biocenter Oulu (BCO) is the spearhead organization of biotechnology and molecular medicine at the University of Oulu. The research of the BCO project groups covers areas of biomedicine, molecular and cell biology, biochemistry, developmental biology, genetics, structural biology and bioinformatics. During the 25 years of its operation, BCO has continuously been rated as excellent when reviewed by the Academy of Finland and the Ministry of Education and Culture. Besides scientific research, BCO has an important role in postgraduate training and in offering core facility services.
Last updated: 18.10.2011