Adjunct Professor, PhD
In my development-oriented career mainly in European projects during past 20 years, I have built up a theoretical and methodological background in understanding and strengthening human participation in the shaping and making of digital futurities through e-learning, e-work and e-research. The projects are related to gender equality promotion in education and labor market, gender equality and diversity planning, gender desegregation, gender equality work within organisations, gender and sexual violence and its prevention, sexist harassment and its prevention. Theoretically, my research builds on feminist research approaches that emphasise people’s empowerment and inclusion in society in general – specifically, intersectional gender equality. Context of my research is northern Europe – Arctic North - as academic intelligence is taking a digi-leap while attempting to sustain democracy - the most valuable and vulnerable cultural heritage of Europe. The focus of my current research is on strengthening the possibilities to research the needs, potentials, affordances and social and ethical challenges in a Technology-Rich University.
- gender equality plan
- Higher Education
- 2015-2017 Postdoctoral Researcher: Mapping promising Nordic practices in gender equality promotion at basic education and kindergartens -project (The Nordic Council of Ministers), CYAR -project (EC-KolArctic), Code IWP -project (Europe for Citizens)
- 2013-2014 Project Manager: Gender Equality and Diversity at Compulsory School -project (National Board of Education), Empowering Care -project (EC-Daphne), The State of Segregation at Ostro-Bothnia -project (ESF), Children and Youth at Risk in the Barents Region - CYAR (EC-KolArctic)
- 2010-2012 Project Expert / Researcher: ALLIES - Teachers' and Parents' Alliance for Early Violence Prevention in Preschool (EC-Daphne), TASUKO -project (MinEdu)
- 2007-2009 Project Coordinator: APROPOS -project (EC-Daphne), GVEI - Gender Violence Effect Indicators (EC-Daphne)
Parkkila, Helena & Heikkinen, Mervi. (2018). Vulnerable bodily integrity: under-recognised sexual violence among girls in residential care institutions. In JGBV - Journal of Gender-Based Violence. Volume 2, Number 1, February 2018, pp. 25-40(16), DOI: https://doi.org/10.1332/239868018X15155985932192.
Suvi Pihkala, Tuija Huuki, Mervi Heikkinen & Vappu Sunnari (2018) Reconfigurings of Non-violence as a Matter of Sustainability and Response-ability, NORA - Nordic Journal of Feminist and Gender Research, 26:3, 167-181, DOI: 10.1080/08038740.2018.1461130
Cardona-López, José-Adán; Bredesen-Nordfjell, Ole; Gaini, Firouz & Heikkinen, Mervi. (2018). Promising Nordic practices in gender equality promotion: Developing teacher education dialogue, practice, and policy cycles on-line. Policy Futures in Education, 16(5), 605–619. https://doi.org/10.1177/1478210317722286.
Professional and community activities
- Chair of Ethics working group, University of Oulu term 2018 - 2021
- Member of Gender Equality and Diversity Board, Universty of Oulu, terms 2016 - 2018, 2019-2021
- Member of UArctic Council, 2018 -
- Gender Studies