Resource Optimization for Context-Aware Smart Cities
Strategic research project of the University of Oulu
Focus institute: Kvantum
Faculty: Information Technology and Electrical Engineering
Our cities are becoming increasingly complex to optimize and manage. Optimizing these multi-dimensional networks over time and space warrants a fundamental paradigm shift from traditional centralized optimization toward self-organizing and context-aware networked cities. Exploiting Intelligent Transportation systems (ITS) via vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) and vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) communications, holds the promise of making our future transportation system safer, efficient, and environmentally sustainable. This project will investigate how to exploit urban analytics, computing, storage, in conjunction with recent advances in 5G wireless technologies to address the myriad of challenges in traffic safety, mobility, sustainability, and energy-efficiency. This project is multidisciplinary in nature and will aim at weaving in notions from optimization theory, game theory, control theory, statistical physics and others whose applications will go beyond SAFARI.
Key words: Smart mobility, smart cities, 5G-vehicle-to-everything (V2X), ultra-reliability and low-latency communication (URLLC)
Project coordinatorUniversity of Oulu
Millimeterwave based V2V Communications
- C. Perfecto, J. Del Ser, M. Bennis, "Millimeter-Wave V2V Communications: Distributed Association and Beam Alignment,". IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 35(9): 2148-2162 (2017).
Resource allocation w/ URLLC + Slicing
- M. Khairy, S. Samarakoon, C.F. Liu, M. Bennis, W. Saad, "Ultra-Reliable Low-Latency Vehicular Networks: Taming the Age of Information Tail," in Proc. of the IEEE Globecom 2018.
- H. Khan, S. Samarakoon, M. Bennis, "Enhancing Video Streaming in Vehicular Networks via Resource Slicing," IEEE TVT SI on connected vehicles series, major revision, 2019.
- C-F. Liu and M. Bennis, "Ultra-Reliable and Low-Latency Vehicular Transmission: An Extreme Value Theory Approach," in IEEE Communications Letters, in press, 2018. https://arxiv.org/pdf/1804.06368
- H. Khan, P. Luoto, M. Bennis, M. Latva-aho, "On the Application of Network Slicing for 5G-V2X," in proc. of European Wireless, Catania, Italy, 2018. https://arxiv.org/pdf/1805.07829
- M. Ikram Ashraf, C.F. Liu, M. Bennis, W. Saad, "Towards low-latency and ultra-reliable vehicle-to-vehicle communication," EuCNC 2017: 1-5, Oulu.
- M. Ikram Ashraf, M. Bennis, C. Perfecto, W. Saad, "Dynamic Proximity-Aware Resource Allocation in Vehicle-to-Vehicle (V2V) Communications," GLOBECOM Workshops 2016: 1-6.
Distributed AI + URLLC
- X. Chen, C. Wu, M. Bennis, Z. Zhao, and Z. Han "Learning to Entangle Radio Resources in Vehicular Communications: An Oblivious Game-Theoretic Perspective", IEEE SI on Machine Learning-base Internet of Vehicles, 2019.
- S. Samarakoon, M. Bennis, W. Saad, M. Debbah, "Federated Learning for Ultra-Reliable Low-Latency V2V Communication," in proc. of the IEEE Globecom 2018.
Dynamic HD Mapping
- C. Perfecto, J. Del Ser, M. Bennis, M. Nekane Bilbao, "Beyond WYSIWYG: Sharing Contextual Sensing Data Through mmWave V2V Communications," IEEE Proc. EuCNC 2017, Oulu, Finland.
- T. Zeng, O. Semiari, W. Saad, and M. Bennis, "Integrated Communications and Control Co-Design for Wireless Vehicular Platoon System", in Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Kansas City, MO, USA, May 2018.