Generation Z and beyond: Co-evolution of human capabilities and intelligent technologies in the 21st century (GenZ)
As new technologies are rapidly developing and becoming more intelligent, invisible and ubiquitous, the entanglement of these technologies with human everyday life presents a 21st-century challenge and transformation that will not exclude any individuals, communities or processes. In spite of this, contemporary approaches to the technological transformation take the human-being for granted and are too narrow. They merely focus on how humans, communities or societies react to new technologies and how people use a technology after it has been developed and designed; or they predict dystopian futures emerging from the co-existence between humans and technology. This is not enough. A concerted response is needed to generate research-based knowledge about the co-evolution of humans and intelligent technologies, making possible the renewal of human capabilities and competences in all walks of life.
GenZ responds to this need with the following themes:
- Enabling co-evolution: Capabilities and competences of individuals and interactions
- Creating socio-technical futures: Uncertainty, ethics and new services
- Promoting resilience from creative destruction: Emerging technology cultures
GenZ answers the following questions:
- Co-evolution: What are the everyday human competences and capabilities needed to live, learn to live and learn to learn in the society that is driven by intelligent technologies?
- Co-creation: How can human sciences contribute to boundary breaking that enables ambitious and interactive human-technology development in intelligent socio-technical futures.
- Resilience: How can co-creation be used in forming value-creating resilience and economic development in ecosystems that use intelligent technologies?
- Methodologies: How can intelligent technologies be used to develop new methodological solutions in human science research?
GenZ aims to create a world-class multidisciplinary research-based GenZ Hub offering transformative know-how to strengthen human capabilities, anticipate future challenges and increase human resilience.
Faculties: Faculty of Humanities, Faculty of Education, Oulu Business School, Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Science
Project coordinatorUniversity of Oulu
Finnish universities, Natural Resources Institute of Finland (LUKE), Finnish Environment Institute (SYKE), VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, VAT Institute for Economic Research, Oulu Innovation Alliance (OIA), Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS), Finnish Meteorological Institute