The research of Dr. Aino Rantala focuses on the effects of exposures during pregnancy and early childhood on development of different diseases, such as asthma. The aim is to investigate the causal pathways from pre- and postnatal exposures to the development of asthma.
- Early exposures
- Environmental exposures
- Causal pathways
- 2020, European Respiratory Society, Long-Term Research Fellowship for a visit at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway: The use of various methodological approaches and data to elucidate the effect of pre- and postnatal exposures, including infections, use of antibiotics and vaccination, on asthma.
- 2019, European Respiratory Society, Short-Term Research Fellowship for a visit at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway: Causal pathways from maternal infections and use of antibiotics during pregnancy to the asthma in offspring
- 2017-2020, Medical Research Center Oulu, Postdoctoral positions
Professional and community activities
- Member of European Respiratory Society (ERS)
- Researcher, Center for Environmental and Respiratory Health Research (CERH)
- Researcher, Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study
- Siddika, Nazeeba; Rantala, Aino K:; Antikainen, Harri; Balogun, Hamudat; Amegah, A. Kofi; Ryti, Niilo R.I.; Kukkonen, Jaakko; Sofiev, Mikhail; Jaakkola, Maritta S.; Jaakkola, Jouni J.K. (2019) Synergistic effects of prenatal exposure to fine particulate matter (PM2.5) and ozone (O3) on the risk of preterm birth: A population-based cohort study. - Environmental research 176, 108549 . [Original] [Self-archived]
- Mehtonen, I.T.; Rantala, A.K.; Hugg, T.T.; Jaakkola, M.S.; Jaakkola, J.J.K. (2019) Dental caries is associated with lower respiratory tract infections: A population-based cohort study. - Respiratory medicine 158 (October-November), 1-5 . [Original] [Self-archived]
- Rantala, Aino K.; Mehtonen, Ilkka T.; Jaakkola, Maritta S.; Näyhä, Simo; Hugg, Timo T.; Jaakkola, Jouni J. K. (2016) Early respiratory infections and dental caries in the first 27 years of life : A population-based cohort study. - PLoS One 11 (12), e0168141 .
- Rantala, Aino K.; Jaakkola, Maritta S.; Mäkikyrö, Elina M. S.; Hugg, Timo T.; Jaakkola, Jouni J. K. (2015) Early Respiratory Infections and the Development of Asthma in the First 27 Years of Life. - American journal of epidemiology 182 (7), 615-623
- Paaso, Elina: Jaakkola, Maritta S.; Rantala, Aino-Kaisa; Hugg, Timo T.; Jaakkola, Jouni J. (2014) Allergic diseases and asthma in the family predict the persistence and onset-age of asthma : a prospective cohort study. - Respiratory research 15 (1), 152 .
- Rantala, Aino; Jaakkola, Jouni J. K.; Jaakkola, Maritta S. (2013) Respiratory infections in adults with atopic disease and IgE antibodies to common aeroallergens. - PLoS One 8 (7), e68582 .
- Rantala A, Jaakkola JJ, Jaakkola MS (2011) Respiratory infections precede adult-onset asthma. - PLoS One 6 (12), e27912 .
Second supervisor to doctoral student Ilkka Mehtonen 2016-
Second supervisor to Jari Korvuo, biology, 2009
Visiting Researcher, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway– 23.10.2017
Research collaboration in the MoBa asthma research group.
Visiting Researcher, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway– 21.5.2018