- Groundwater-surface water interactions
- Water resources management
- Groundwater-dependent ecosystems
- Tracer hydrology
- Stable water isotopes
- Thermal imaging
M. Sc. Elina Isokangas is finalizing her PhD project related to the use of environmental tracers to quantify the groundwater dependence of boreal ecosystems. New methods and tools are developed for classification and management of different groundwater-dependent ecosystems (lakes, streams, peatlands and springs). The work will be published in four international peer-reviewed journal articles, three of which have already been published.
Isokangas has been participating on EU and Academy of Finland programs and is leading a Renlund foundation project called Environmental tracers to classify and manage groundwater-dependent ecosystems. She is supervising undergraduates in their B.Sc. studies and Master thesis and has been teaching in several courses, e.g. Hydrological Processes and Advanced course in hydrology. Isokangas has been responsible for setting up and maintaining the Isotope laboratory facilities of Water resources and environmental engineering research group.
M.Sc.(Tech.) in Environmental engineering, University of Oulu, 2013
- Water Reseources and Environmental Engineering
- Isokangas, Elina; Rozanski, Kazimierz; Rossi, Pekka M.; Ronkanen, Anna-Kaisa; Kløve, Bjørn (2015) Quantifying groundwater dependence of a sub-polar lake cluster in Finland using an isotope mass balance approach. - Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 19 (3), 1247-1262 . [Original]
- Isokangas, Elina; Rossi, Pekka M.; Ronkanen, Anna-Kaisa; Marttila, Hannu; Rozanski, Kazimierz; Klöve, Björn (2017) Quantifying spatial groundwater dependence in peatlands through a distributed isotope mass balance approach. - Water resources research 53 (3), 2524–2541 . [Original]
- Ala-aho, Pertti; Rossi, Pekka Matias; Isokangas, Elina; Klöve, Björn (2015) Fully integrated surface-subsurface flow modelling of groundwater-lake interaction in an esker aquifer: Model verification with stable isotopes and airborne thermal imaging. - Journal of hydrology 522, 391-406
- Rossi, Pekka; Marttila, Hannu; Jyväsjärvi, Jussi; Ala-aho, Pertti; Isokangas, Elina; Muotka, Timo; Klöve, Björn (2015) Environmental conditions of boreal springs explained by capture zone characteristics. - Journal of hydrology 531 (Part 3), 992-1002 . [Original]
- Eskelinen, Riku; Ronkanen, Anna-Kaisa; Marttila, Hannu; Isokangas, Elina; Klöve, Björn (2016) Effects of soil frost on snowmelt runoff generation and surface water quality in drained peatlands. - Boreal Environment Research 21 (5-6), 556-570 . [Original]